Low and high poly chess set- final renders

So, here it is, all the pieces done. High poly black (wooden) ones and low poly white ( mother of pearl) ones. All pieces have green felt thingies underneath ( my dad’s old chess set had them, to avoid scratching the surface of the board) Black squares are made out of stone, white ones - mother of pearl again. I have no idea as of now, how to make a better background ( short of modeling the whole room) so i left it as it was.

I also rendered the white ones as a high poly, just to heck how the texture would look:

5 Likes

A solution would be to get a higher resolution DHRI map. Which is difficult …

Or introduce camera focus blur, so that the missing details of the background are not that important.

And yes, build a room …

Additional note.

You should also implement lighting as used in the HDRI, even camera setting when the foto was taken …

Yea, I was playing with it a bit in photoshop after i rendered it , looks much bether when you add a bit of depth;)

2 Likes

Very nice simple shaped but different chess set.

Yes, model more room! The only real way. :grinning:

I really like this composition. The lighting is pretty good and the Queen’s position looming over the fallen piece works pretty well. It can be enhanced by using a shorter focal length, or setting the Queen a teeny bit closer.

I also think the background here works well, but you could make it tie better into the scene by further adjusting the contrast and brightness, and maybe adding a blur effect to better sell the depth of field, maybe using a gradient map in Photoshop to have the blur begin subtly to the left of frame and become more evident towards the right, where the bookcases would be “farther” away.

Overall, I think this is good work. When I did my own Chess scene about a year ago, I brought in some dungeon assets from BlendSwap to build a room for it all. That, however, made my render times a lot longer, because Cycles needed to calculate all the added bounces (the fact that I also added a fire simulation for dramatic effect didn’t help at all, either). The good thing is that you can be very flexible with what you want to put in your scene, and very simple setups can end up looking really nice with a good amount of work and care.

Great job!

1 Like

I have to be very careful with how much stuff i put into my scene. I’m working on a regular supermarket kinda laptop for 200 quid XD it doesn’t have the power to render anything more complexe ( When i put this scene for render I can forget about touchung my pc for at least half an hour :P) Thanks for all your input guys. I’ll try to model the rest of the room, but seriously doubt if i will be able to show it to you when it’s done XD

1 Like

https://www.sheepit-renderfarm.com/index.php

Privacy & Terms