Lost in the Woods Text Adventure

New to programming but had a blast with the text 101 project. Check out my game linked below. I know it can definitely use improvements and I wasn’t going to share at first but I decided I should go ahead and put it out there.

http://www.gamebucket.io/game/9e427a83-0fc8-400c-98ca-2838b60a1e8b

Let me know what you think!

1 Like

Link didn’t work for me

what browser were you using? Can you post a screenshot?

It looks like the URL got cut off or corrupted during copy/pasting. What follows is the exact content of the URL: http://www.gamebucket.io/…/9e427a83-0fc8-400c-98ca-2838b60a…

The “%E2%80%A6” string fragment is converted into three periods (…) when copied into the browser (any browser), so it’s not actually going to the right place, Corey. Just try re-uploading your game to Gamebucket and see if the next URL works better. Not sure what happened here, to be honest. You should be able to see what effect it has by simply clicking the link above, but I’ve also attached a screenshot below. As you can see, there’s…a bit of a problem.

1 Like

Edited original post with correct link. Please let me know what you think!

Nice work, Corey! The writing is great, with a wonderful sense of place and mood. the locations were quite imaginative, as well, and the way you wrote their descriptions made them very…magical-seeming, perhaps? In any case, I enjoyed them very much. I also liked the graphic you included - very slick work. :wink:

Even though the game was on the short side (not a criticism, it just is), the exploration factor was significant here, and made me want to see what would happen next. I also enjoyed the sinister turn the story takes at the end, though I’m not sure I quite understand what was actually being implied.

There were a few problems that could easily be ironed out with more dev time: a few typos here and there, and a couple of repeated phrases that seemed to have been left in from a previous edit (both of these were issues I struggled with in my game, too - I found that drafting each scene on paper or in a word processor before actually coding them helped with this immensely). It would also be helpful at the dead-end if the player could press a button to start the game over, rather than having to simply re-load the game from the start.

I also notice that the game ends quite abruptly after the player wakes up, looping back to the beginning of the game. Is this intentional, or was there more that was supposed to happen? I ask because I had an issue like this in my game where the player couldn’t go past a certain point, and it turned out that I hadn’t linked up the scenes properly.

Anyway, excellent work all around, Corey! Is this a game you’re planning to expand on in future (as I am with mine), or was this purely a practice exercise? Very curious to see more of your work, especially given that you write so vividly.

Thanks for the great feedback (I almost majored in English in college)! You’re right about all the improvements that could be made. I purposely spent a limited amount of time on this game because I was eager to move on to the next part of the course so I’m not currently planning to expand on this game.

The loop back to the beginning of the game is intentional. The implication is that the character is stuck inside a dream that loops indefinitely. :slight_smile: If you would like to see the other game I have on game bucket right now, here is the link to my thread about my Number Wizard game based on the next section of the course.

Privacy & Terms