Looking for some guidance

I am one of those old times that now getting back into programming and my 10 year old son is coming along for the ride. I have not done any real programming or coding since the late 90’s, Yes really, lol. So here the Q, where should I start for boy that is 10 and eager to learn code. I started on a TRS-80 with basic but there really is no use for that these day, Thanks in advance Cheers

2 Likes

I have no experience with it myself and I’m not sure how up to date it is, but for young people just starting I’ve always seen Scratch (https://scratch.mit.edu/) recommended as a start. Might be worth looking into it to get to know the basics of programming.

1 Like

Scratch is what they use in the coding clubs in the schools but its targetted more (at least at my daughters school) at 6-7 year olds.
Python is probably the next step into it these days.
There is a course that is on kickstarter is under the voting section which is basically the next step from scratch and more suited to our children (My eldest is 8 but she’s very advanced).

This is being strongly considered to be made next year as i am waiting on it as well.
There isnt any reason why your son cant start the unity course though it would just be a bit more hands on helping them to learn it i think.

I started programming on an amstrad cpc 464 in basic and then progressed to playing with mud code in C and thats how i learn as a copy and passte monkley until i found the unity course.

Hope this helps

1 Like

Everything the other posters said and maybe look into the Raspberry Pi.

I would also highly recommend Alice. It’s an animation program with coding blocks. I learned to use it in a class in my freshman year of high school, and it was such a great experience that I’m now going to college for game programming.

1 Like

I would start your son on the code academy website. It teaches various programming languages in a step by step and visual manner. It also throws in practice problems and gives badges for completion of objectives. I found it very useful. It is also a free tool and high quality. https://www.codecademy.com/

2 Likes

Get him learning python then when he knows the basics learn c#

Privacy & Terms