Looking for like-minded people for a game project

Hey Anthony!

Keep checking this space. Once we organise ourselves in the current team we will most likely start introducing more people. So nothing is lost and thanks for your interest!

Pawel

Hey guys.

Just as Anthony above, I too found this topic a bit too late. But never the less I will intoduce myself here, just in case you guys go searching for new people.

I used to be a painter for a good solid 10 years than somewhere in 2013/2014 bussines of seling my art went downhill a bit too much so one day I have had enough of the struggle and decided to go back to school so in oct 2015 I started studying IT/computer science. Now, a year later Iam here at Udemy, learning Unity and Blender and chasing a very old dream of mine - becoming a game developer.

Iam 33 years old, married, got kids and a burning desire to evolve. That is why Iam here. Iam working hard on gaining new knowledge, every day. Curentlly Iam working on my first, small project of mine that I hope will get me good experience on how things work in the game development arena and maybe a few bucks. As if this is not enough, in october Iam advancing to the second grade of my studies, so Iam quite short on time here.

Right now I dont have a portfolio of my digital work, at least not one that I would show with confidence. I need to get more work done before I do that.

I enjoy working in Blender, despite that Iam now all in into Unity. But if I would have to pick one thing over another, Id say that I would probably be more useful as an 3d artist for someone starting a game project. And I would love to join a project like this for sure.

If interested in my taste and painting skills, you can take a look at my art here.

Soon there will be more to find on my site, including some of the things Iam currently working on. More on that some other time.

Good luck with your project & cheers
Rok

1 Like

Hi Rok,

Thanks for your interest and post! I will let you know - same as Anthony - when we will be taking new people on. We are still in the process of learning how to work in the current team we have. However, we do need 3D artists so we will have a chat internally about introducing new members and will get back to you all.

Thanks!

Rok, Anthony send me your email addresses. We had discussion and the general feeling is that we can expand the team a bit at the moment. It happens that you guys represent areas that are under-represented in our team.

Would you guys be able to meet with us this Saturday @ 19:00hrs (GMT/UTC) for a chat on mumble? I will send you details once I have your email addresses.

Pawel

Ive been folowing this thread since the start, I’m looking forward to see the game that you guys are going to come up with!!

Cheers for organizing it Pawel. It is a victory by itself

3 Likes

Indeed it is! Thanks for the interest mate!

2 Likes

Hello Pawel, I wanted to point out if you guys have sound engineers and music composers for your project as you will be telling a story so sound may be required. I am interested in your project though I have always wanted to see what it’s like for a group of people to make a game, that’s if I have your permission though if you don’t have space I understand. :slight_smile:

Hi, I hate to interject myself, hope it doesn’t seem too rude, I’m a 3D artist/animator and film studies graduate, looking to collaborate with like minded people. my website is www.stephenwoods3d.com and some of my other work is on my old youtube page www.youtube.com/nowtmuchbetter . I found this thread because I am working through the Unity developer course, then I’ll be starting the Unity VR and Unreal developer course. Obviously working on the programming side would probably not suit me since I’m pretty new to coding, but practically anything else would be in my wheelhouse, from story to design, 3D, VFX and animation.

thanks

Stephen

www.stephenwoods3d.com

1 Like

I took a look at your portfolio, Stephen, and it looks very good. As for being new to coding, unless this is your first experience writing code at all, I wouldn’t worry about it too much since we’re all in the same boat. After all, this community is brought together by a common thread of those of us learning Unity or Unreal or whichever engine we’re working on, so you’re probably in a lot better shape than you think you are. Of course, if you’re more interested in art than programming, that’s a different conversation, but there’s room for all types, of course. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Are there any rooms left? Remaking the original arcade game ridge racer: https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/0B_LwK3oBdiJXNkM4UkpSTjF1Nnc

contact at maxvinus@gmail.com

Hi Guys,
As promised long time ago, here is an update on how we are doing and how is the project progressing.

After a little more than a month of recruitment drive, I contacted all of you that expressed their interest in joining.

Its roughly six months since our team members exchanged first messages on slack. From day one we started to discuss the game that we want to work on and how will our relationship to each other look like. After much deliberation and many discussions, the game concept finally started to take shape. Over time game idea would change many times to better suit our team and skill set. At the beginning this was all very chaotic and messy, no matter how much we tried to keep things organised. However, as the time passed we got better at the communication and guidance, and slowly but surely, we started to tackle all the necessary bits of planning, that any successful project should have.

We have decided that our first project will be a learning one (with remote possibility that if the game is good we might take it further later), and that this project should, primarily, teach us:

1. To communicate effectively across multiple time zones (we work in 7 different time zones) and to effectively communicate ideas – communication is an absolute key
  2. To plan development process and development stages / milestones, from broad concepts to absolute minute details without overburdening anyone.
  3. To know our own strengths and to effectively utilise them in the team, and to know how to divide responsibility equally

One thing I that I really didn’t want to happen was for this project to feel like another job. Once you cross that threshold there is no coming back. Enthusiasm will fizzle out and you will end up where you started with no one around you.

We work on total trust basis: no secrets, no pressure what so ever and with lots of respect for each other and our lives, jobs, and families. It seems to work as six months later we are still in the same team that we have started with. Well that is a bit of a lie, as the team only grew since beginning and never shrunk.

We meet every Saturday at 18:00hrs GMT – which means that some join in just after they got up in the morning (USA, Canada & Brazil) and some join us when really, they should have been in bed for a long time.

The project is going well, slow but steady, however now the design stage is done the team picked up speed a lot. At this very moment, we are at content creation stage – we need to create lots of 3D assets, as well as music and sound. Programmers among us are busy coding in the core mechanic of the game, concept artists are busy visualising all the previously decided game concepts and objects and 3D modellers are creating lots of fantastic 3D models.

This brings me to the other important information, we are ready to accept new team members. There are various reasons for this, however main one is that certain areas are underrepresented.
We are looking for the following skilled persons to join our team (skill level is not important, what matters is what you want to do):

1. 3D Artists / Modelers (Blender mainly, but other software is ok too)
  2. Music & Sound Designers
  3. Programmers (C++)
  4. Social Media Person (Social and communication skills, and interest in inside view of game development process, patience)

If you would like to join a growing team (13 people and counting) and:

• You want to learn about game development
  • You want to be a part of something
  • You are looking for something new to put your energy towards
  • Your area of expertise is in one of the areas mentioned above

Give me a shout! Send me a message here on the forums (private message with your email will do, and maybe few
words of what you do), we will then organise a suitable time to meet and see if we are mutually compatible.

Finally, I would like to say that I am proud to be a member of this team. We were extremely fortunate to end up with people that we have and it is an absolute privilege to work with every single one of you. I had no idea that I will be writing these words in six months’ time, but here we are.

Thanks for reading this and I hope to hear from you guys!

Pawel

PS
Can’t tease anything about the game itself yet, as this is another are we need to learn about :slight_smile: How much do you let slip? Would saying that we are in the process of making top down, SciFi arcade shooter be revealing too much?

5 Likes

Hi there Pawel_Kosinski.

My name is Carlos Irizarry. I’m really interested in joining your team,

Still looking for 3D-Artists? What Art-Style are you aiming for and what Engine are you using (Because of C++ Id guess youre developing with Unreal)?

I´m currently developing on my own Game … mainly as C++ Programmer, but missing some Modelling, so I´d really love to help out. (Experienced with Maya, ZBrush, Substance Painter/Designer) and will have soon all the licenses for commercial work.

Privacy & Terms