Looking for like-minded people for a game project

Cool, enthusiasm! I want to say in words of Obi Wan Kenobi: Patience :slight_smile: haha, no but its all good mate - I am just overwhelmed by the response. I honestly did not expect that many of you.

But you are absolutely right, we need a private group. Either facebook or google group. I cant think of any other service that would allow us to do that quickly.

1 Like

Please don’t blame me but just from my experience:
Will this be a learning project with everything being open source and no monetization?

Otherwise:

• Who is the legal owner of the produced code / arts?
  • Are you going to split up costs/income? How?
  • Any compensation if you contribute but don’t get any rights?
  • Are you going to spend your time for free and donate everything to the project owner?
  • How will you handle people leaving the group / not contributing anymore?
  • Who will be responsible for legal problems like copyright / IP unauthorized use
  • think about some form of simple contract, where these questions are answered

This is not to say anything bad at this community project idea but to create awareness and ask some questions to think about :slight_smile:

4 Likes

We could use Slack for our communication solution. The free plan would fit our needs. There is Web, mobile and app access. Plus it would keep me from having to install facebook on my smartphone :slight_smile: I’d be happy to help with any project management duties also, I’m studying that at the moment and there are a few project management solutions that are free that we can use too

1 Like

Those are important questions to ask

First of all we are meant to have fun doing this, if you do not have fun then we are doing something wrong.

We can indeed avoid those questions by going for free for all, learning project first.
However, we can discuss each person individual possible/expected contribution in detail and make sure in contract that they will get rewarded proportionally for the time and effort put in. Once of course the project is successful. I meant to touch on this subject once we know how many of us are there.

I do not have resources to pay upfront to anybody at the moment, if I had such money I would be openly advertising jobs instead. That’s is why I ask if anyone would be interested working together towards a common goal.

To answer your questions (off the top of my head, this can be all discussed in detail later on):

1. Work will be done under UK/EU law. Since any work of art is property of an artist (even if commissioned by third party), it will remain so unless we sign specific contract where artist/programmer cedes their ownership or agrees to sell it in return for the amount / percent of the profit. Code written by a programmer counts as literary written work (like a novel), hence it falls under same rules as any other work of art. If it gets really serious to this point however, we will have to decide on measures to protect our work from people who will want to take an advantage of it.

2. I intend to cover the initial costs like software licencing fees or server costs. Also there will be a transparency in regards to the costs of the project and if other participants want to help support the project they will be able to, but they will not be required to do so. Splitting profits is something that will be discussed in detail long before any profits are generated. Then any agreements will be put into contracts that we will sign between each other. I am happy to do it under the banner of my company but I would also be fine with setting up a separate legal entity for the project.

3. It’s your personal choice if you want to contribute before you have anything in writing. Hence I am here, effectively invoking mutual trust ‘let’s do something together and see where it leads’. That’s why I mentioned in my posts above that we will have a cut-off date for people to express their interest, so then we can figure out between closed group how to proceed from here and also to possibly discuss any questions or concerns people will have.

4. Somebody will have to take the ownership of the idea. Since I personally asked out, then what it means really that I want to rally people under my banner. If you change your mind half way though the project, you can leave and you are free to reuse your own code and art anywhere you want including competition to what we are making. However as in any work like this one, once you start to contribute towards a shared work the work you have done stays as an integral part of that project. I usually use an example of a plumber to describe this better: Say you were my plumber and I called you in to tighten a bolt on my pipe. You agreed to help me free of charge since it was small job. You tighten the screw; we shake hands you go away. If you change your mind about the service, you have provided me, say after six months – I won’t be like, ‘Oh ok, I’ll go and loosen the bolt again then’ (effectively altering my code). Similarly, I can’t ask you to give me your box of tools or your spanner after completed job as I would be taking away your tools of trade (so I can’t take ownership of your code or stop you from using what you have designed for the project in your other work). So, I am asking who would like to work with me first, once we have a team of people and something to work on, we can start talking about the future prospects of ownership and remuneration. At the moment it is an investment of your skill and time into something that might work or might not. It is up to everyone to decide themselves if they are up for that.

5. Work with contractors all my working life. If we are at the stage where we all contribute towards the code but there is no money being made, then if someone leaves we will have to share out the responsibilities between the rest or find a suitable replacement. If we will be at the money making stage, then we will have contracts in place that will outline exactly what happens in situation like that.

6. IP and copyright are touchy subjects. We will all have to be vigilant and mindful of it. There are simple common sense rules though: do not use unlicensed music, do not code in pirated IDE, do not use art from google w/o permission of the artist, do not copy and paste any written work, etc.

7. Let’s get the team together first, then worry about legal stuff.

3 Likes

I like how you guys are thinking proactively.

I’m not one to be able to interact fast and freely right now, especially with anxiety making all kinds of trouble for me, but oh well. I’m saying Hello now!

Hello Deloric. :smiley:

Please add my name to the list.

I lives in Tokyo Japan.

Since two years I have been playing with Unity and C#.

However, I yet to execute one project.

Thanks.

Hi Guys,

I went by Wesley’s advice and set up a Slack group for us. It is really slick and far more professional than Facebook or Google group.

Slack is basically a set of tools that will help us communicate in a private setting.

I had to come up with the name for the Team, we can change it later to something we all like but for now it is ‘The Perfect Game’. Why this name? Well this is my first ever domain I bought, long time ago. I don’t even remember why I bought it. Anyhow we can change the name of the team later on.

Create your account here: https://slack.com/
Or by finding our team here: https://slack.com/signin/find (do your account setup and then look for The Perfect Game team)

Alternatively send me your email address by private message here and I will send you an invitation.

Finally we need a cut off date for people to state their interest, as we cant be an ‘open group’ all the time. So I am proposing the end of this month as the cut off date. However if anyone has a good reason why this should be extended do post here.

Lets get the ball rolling, shall we?

3 Likes

The end of the month sounds fair for locking the team down. I’m excited to get started!

Pawel_Kosinski,
Please kindly send me invitation here:magxtopher@gmail.com
I am glad to be part of the team.

Regards.

Magnus

Thanks.
I grab the message.

HI My names Mark :slight_smile:
i have been coding in my spare time for years currently working thru the Unreal engine C++ course i have spent allot of time working on c#
im very interested in joining in if there is any space left
oh im based in the uk :slight_smile:

Hey!

Yeah, anyone can still join that express interest. We will keep the offer open until the end of this month.
Send me your email through private message here so I can add you to slack.

If anyone else is having problems with finding the team on slack just send me your email address and I will send you an invitation.

EDIT:

Guys it seems that I misunderstood how you can join team on slack. It turns out you need to have a prior invitation to be able to join from the website automatically. My bad!

Send me your emails on PM here and I will send you an invite ASAP.

Hi All,

Just a friendly reminder to send me your email address in private message if you want to be included in the team. I will send you slack invitation ( an invitation to a collab tool), that we will be using to organise ourselves.

Pawel

36 year old dude living in the heart of Europe and having a great time following the Unreal course for the time being. I’ve been thinking how it would be great to get on a collaborative project to be able to learn more, so hopefully there’s room for one more. I’ve sent you a message, @Pawel_Kosinski.

Oh, and my keyboard is not perfectly responsive, for some reason - so if there’s the occasional ‘e’ missing, that’s usually why.

I am very interested in contributing where I can. I will describe some of my skills in the PM that I send you…Looking forward to working with people from literally across the world.

Good luck guys, looking forward to seeing what you come up with.

Just quick reminder to all that expressed interest but haven’t sent me their email address. We are locking the team very soon. After today there is only one more day left to get yourself involved. Once this month is over we will no longer accept new people for a long while.

This is last chance to PM me your email address :slight_smile:

I would like to thank you all who replied to me, here and in the PM - I have not expected so many of you will be interested.

I will report here every so often on our progress.

Hey there Pawel! Names Dane Rose. I am an amateur in game design. I recently started this course, and was scrolling through the forums here and came across your post. I’ve been a student at the Art Institute for Game Design the past year. I am only 19 years old, but full of passion and desire to do more. I currently am a Computer Technician working on computers on the day to day basis. But in the excessive free time I have, I spend it learning this new program Unreal engine, and all the features that go with it. I am very interested in joining a project to learn more, become more, and take on some more responsibility to achieve. You can email me and Jacob.rose.0805@gmail.com. I would love to join the team and hear some ideas and share some of my own!

Hey, guys!
I hope you are doing well and wish you luck with your project!

It could be great to work with you, since I am a full time game designer and learning to code in Unity3D. But I found this topic just now and unfortunatelly it seems to be too late to join.

Be bold, be brave, create.

1 Like

Privacy & Terms