LAMPSHADE semi-transparent

Hi there,

I have a question about the shader editor.
I am working on my lamp, but I don’t know how to make the lampshade semi-transparent. Please help! :smile: Thanks

Samuel

1 Like

If you are just looking to get the effect of the light backlighting the shade then you’ll want to mix a “Subsurface Scattering BSDF” node with either a “Diffuse BSDF” or a “Glossy BSDF” node.

On the other hand, if you want the light to actually shine through like these…

you will want to use either a “Translucent BSDF” node (lamp on the left) or, for greater control, mix a “Transparent BSDF” node with another. (For the lamp on the right, I mixed a “Transparent BSDF” and a “Subsurface Scattering BSDF”.)

1 Like

I got a similar solution as Kirito, but you see… both solutions are for Cycles I guess.

But thing is the answer for this is not so simple as may seem.

When you have just Transluscent material, it is just visible when you have the light passing through the backface of the mesh and then you end up not having the inside of the shade lit…

So what I did was using a property of the Solidify modifier where you can set another material to the faces created by the modifier.

Set the “Material_Inside” to Diffuse so I could have some light shining on it but then something happened…

Then it hit me… what happens here is that when I have Diffuse it casts shadow and no light is passing through…
What I had to do was mix the Diffuse with Transparent using a Light Path with the “Is Shadow” as factor

And then I got this… which is better but we cannot see the lamp inside yet…

So mixed again with a transparent shader but just slightly.

And now we have it!

This materials will work “correctly” only when you have the lamp lit inside…

File if you want:
LampShade.blend (700.4 KB)

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 24 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

Privacy & Terms