L134 to 138, lamp rig done, lots in there

(Beginner hurdles) 134-138 took a lot of going back and forth. Started out with me needing an eternity to understand that the object to bone parenting required that the specific bone was last selected in edit mode, then you switch to object,… You can’t see that the system will use the last bone selected in edit. It is probably said somewhere but I didn’t hear it. I spent a world of time trying to align/understand what the diff is between pose and rest position. Your rig will jump to the control bone and there is an offset (it was difficult to accept lol). To get this offset “right” (versus not understanding why it flips where) I eventually settled on creating the ReferenceObject at the head of the Ctrlbone, that is where the rig will jump to. Also important here to understand that the length of the chain will influence that jump. That helped me to understand a bit more what was happening. There is the annoying tendency that the skeleton suddenly has a protected layer, the little circle in the field, turns out that happens when you along the way delete a bone, some of it is remembered somewhere, yick. So you had to rebuild skeleton without mistakes or ctrl z your way back until that was clear again and then restart from that point. Also, those five lessons make it clear that stuff only happens right if you are in the right mode. So lots in those five lessons. Thanks guys. Mike is right, it is cool when in the end you grab the head of the shade and it moves as intended. It helped a lot to simply look at IK constraints and to stop trying to adjust the other bone constraints. Looking forward to animation.

Does anyone know what the least messy/tech/without installing complex stuff way is to make video recordings on my screen? For show and tell.

4 Likes

What operating system are you using?

Windows10 Pro

It’s like, hearing myself talking.
I had the same armature experience you had in these lessons.
Partly of the complexity of blender and the modes you need to work in.
There is too much going on in these lessons.

Nowadays I use armatures a lot. But avoiding things like bone constrains.
They are important, but only in certain cases, like huge animation project.
I use armatures, just to make a figure, flexible in positions. And that’s it.
Auto rigging is enough then.

1 Like

Privacy & Terms