Kinda lost

Maybe it’s just me, but ever since I started this section about the game assets for some reason it feels like it’s hard to fallow. Or like I can’t quite understand what and why fully we are to do what we are doing with the modules. It almost feels like a mixture of beginning again with new techniques put in that for me don’t seem to make much sense. I get the idea of the lod and lean work flow but at the same time it feels like im floundering and that this is more work than it should be. Just needed to get that out because I seem to be having trouble with this section. @Michael_Bridges

Thanks for the feedback.

Some students find this section more challenging because it is the first that we let your hand go and encourage you to do your own thing.

If you have any more specifics on what you feel isn’t working that’d be great.

@Michael_Bridges So I understand the idea of LOD in a scene, but the thing right now that confuses me right now is why are we using building blocks all of a sudden rather than just building well the building like we did with the other models. So the whole back to blocks after such a detailed rabbit seems counterproductive I guess. Sorry it’s hard to explain in text. Btw thanks Michael for all your work and help I really do appreciate it. Side question my end goal is to be a short films maker, do you have any suggestions on where to go after iv finished this course to learn about animation and characters and such in detail?

We are focusing on repeat-ability and reuse, that easy to demonstrate with simple blocks. Those block when combined allow you to build a much larger building quickly and better than that, they allow you to edit that building (or whatever other modular thing you’re making) really quickly because you can swap pieces out if they’re made modular.

Forgive me for budging in… but I agree with White…

The switch from Bunny’s higher and higher detail gives a feel of ’whip-lash’ in direction. Even if I have tried to learn blender before it is a large number of concepts and details to take in so consistent directions helps…
I’m thinking Dunning+Kruger, the professors? :slight_smile:

… still learning a lot so. Thank you! :smiley:

1 Like

Hi everybody,

This is purely my own opinion but I could try to explain the section as well from my perspective.

The course is constructed and organized in a way that you start from the very basics, simple usage of Blender UI etc. Then moving to pushing vertices, edges and faces, trying to understand the modeling concepts, modifiers and what not. Ultimately moving into animation, particle systems and larger compositions.

All this is required so you can model complex scenes and objects. Mastering this you should be able to create nice renders inside the Blender. Yet there’s so much more, like game engines. And this is what GameAssetPack section covers.

You can’t create a complex scene in Blender and just export it to a game engine and expect it to work. You need to build your assets in a modular fashion. If you would create a 100 000 vert count house and put few of those in a game it would just choke (depending on the platform and other assets of course. I am oversimplifying here.) Instead create a 100 or 1000 vert count wall pieces and create the house by using those. That approach gives you also flexibility and possibility to create variation by composing elements like using lego blocks.

LODs are just a mechanism inside the game engines try to reduce the amount of geometry drawn at each frame. More geometry and complexity will cause lower FPS (frames per second). This is essential because game engines need to do other stuff as well and not just drawing geometry (your game logic for instance).

Hope this helps understanding this section better!

Cheers, Jax

I also had some difficulty with this section. When the linking of the pieces were presented and then the fact that you could not move them or edit them, I immediately thought, “I am not using that process!” and ended up skipping over it a little.

Then I took on a large project and then understood it. I am building a large throne room/castle with a surrounded moat and on a mountain. I now can see that all those many walls, doors and windows are re-usable. Then I realized that they could even be used for a completely different building.

I then went back and used the linking, making proxy and such. I now understand that building several different versions of the same wall, door and window is important. Having done work in other engines, I know that different Level Of Detail is needed in order to reduce the processing of parts that are far away.

I wonder if the whole process and the advantages of doing these things could be better presented? With the first room, a simple room with only six wall pieces, really did not illustrate the need to design re-usable pieces. I had to go through several lessons before realizing the potential of the whole idea.

Now, after creating the floor tiles, ceilings, walls, doors and windows, I now see that a completely different building could use so many of these pre-made pieces. And having the low detail and high detail version would save a very large amount of time in a second building. I can imagine doing a scene in a town, doing the first building, then re-using the parts to do the other buildings.

It is the concept of a scene, the need for low detail at a distance and high detail close up as you walk through this town you created. Also, the need to repeatability in designing the first building and then re-using parts to do the rest, thus saving so much time.

The rabbit was just one scene and the use of it was not as you walk up to the rabbit from far away and then get closer. It was a static display, much like a display in a store window.I agree that at first it is a shock to do through the lessons and have this gnawing question in my mind, why am I doing this?

I hope you can understand it better now. I know that I do.

5 Likes

Privacy & Terms