Just joined....can I get some tips on what this is about?

Hi! My name is Andrew Feng, and I recently started this Unreal Engine 4/C++ course…can I get some information on what to expect (and what the GameDev community is even about?)

1 Like

Hi Andrew, welcome to the community :slight_smile:

I’ve not started the Unreal course myself, so I can’t offer a lot of feedback on that, you may find popping a separate post in the Unreal sub-category and asking what experiences other students have had gives you a more focused set of responses. If you want more of an overview of what is covered in each section, you could check the GitHub repository for the specific course, as they contain a readme.md file which expands on the content for each section (link below).

Regarding the community, it really is just that - a community. Everyone is welcome to ask questions, share what they are working on, post images, videos, diagrams, code etc, ask for feedback, provide feedback.

The structure of the forum represents the courses, there is a category for each, and each category has a set of sub-categories which map to the sections of the course. These are linked under the Resources on Udemy so that you have direct access at every stage and can easily post your questions, thoughts, feedback, suggestions etc in the most relevant location. In addition there is the Lounge which you’ve found which has a scattering of non-course specific categories for other topics.

The recommended process for course content-specific questions is to post under the Q&A section within Udemy. Each course has student-instructors along with the instructors, who are responsible for responding to students questions and then escalating if needs be. You can, of course, post questions in the forum also, many people do, some are related to the course content specifically, others often related to extending the functionality/features of course content. Sometimes they are just for someones own game. One thing to bear in mind is that posting questions in the forum doesn’t guarantee a response from an instructor/student instructor, instead, you have a variety of peers who will often be able to offer suggestions/help based on their own experience.

In addition to the forum there is also the Discord channel if you like to converse in real time with other people, along with the Facebook groups, YouTube channel and the website.

Hope this is of some help and again, welcome to the community :slight_smile:

See also;

1 Like

Privacy & Terms