I've been struggling with this one

I’ve been struggling getting the bowling ball animation to work properly. I can enter the two key frames and get the ball to move between them, but then I can’t consistently get the physics to take over after that.

I’ve noticed that the animation checkbox turns two shades of green when ticked, and orange when not. On one occasion I was able to get it to work properly, but when I tried to repeat the steps have been unsuccessful.

I’m running Blender 2.81a.

Any suggestions, or can someone give me an exact list of steps, with particularly detail related to switching from kinematic key frame animation to physics?

Thanks

Brian

1 Like

Any reason to be running 2.81a? it is early in the 2.8 new series? Not that it is necessarily a problem, just that bugs do get sorted out constantly with Blender.

There is an odd behaviour that is off putting with the second keyframing in the lecture. Once added keying in the removal of the animation letting physics take over, the ball dashes back to where it started. However it does then work if the animation is run. But it is off putting, you feel you have messed something up when you have not.

I am sure we can help but need some starting point, best with a full screenshot. (Would be tomorrow from me, but others are on different time zones.)

2 Likes

I worked it out, and will post my animation in a separate window.

I wasn’t differentiating between the animation tic box and the little diamond next to it… Two different things.

I’m using 2.81a because I had a mac install for it that I downloaded some time ago. I’m not sure how to download later version. The current version is 2.9, and I don’t want to be out of sync with this course.

Brian

1 Like

You can have multiple versions of Blender running on your machine!

You can install Blender in a different folder on your system.
And the newer versions of Blender do that on their own, using the version number as the system folder name.

It gives you the opportunity to switch between the newest version and the one you want to use for the course.

Personally, I had this problem too. Following the course using 2.79 … while 2.8 was introduced.
But I think it better to use the latest version, because of the benefits of the latest stable version.
And yes, clicking on an option as shown in the course, missing in the latest version is a problem!

But student or not, eventually you need to use the latest version. So this problem of something learned in the old way and finding a solution on your own still exists! Better to do it in an earlier state.

It helps understanding Blender too! Instead of clicking a button as shown by a teacher. Now you need to think like, I need this to happen, how in Blender can I do this …
And if lost, ask here on the forum … lots of people want to share their knowledge.
And maybe with your renewed knowedge you can help others too with the same question(s).

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 24 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

Privacy & Terms