I’m issuing a personal challenge here. Hopefully this creates a little more interaction than just individual posts. I want to see COLLABORATIONS!
My challenge is directed towards Unity and Blender students.
The Unreal course is not yet fully completed, but a challenge lies in store for you as well!
(I’m also taking the course.)
- Complete a course project with a fellow student, a first venture into teamwork
- Start fleshing out game primers from Unity course without video lecture assistance
- Getting your feet wet in game development without pressures of a business venture
GUIDELINES, RULES and RECOMMENDATIONS:
Pair up one Unity Student and one Blender Student. This is the biggest hurdle. Post a comment below about which role you wish to fill and any credentials you wish to share. Use the PM (Personal Message) feature to ask to partner up; please avoid using the reply button to do this. Edit your comment by tagging your new partner once you have one.
You should have completed enough of each course (at least Zombie Runner in Unity and Fluffy Bunny in Blender) to feel confident in completing this challenge. You will have to accomplish some tasks without reference to a slide or video, but You Can Do It!
Your submission should be completely free in all aspects. Create a WebGL build of your final project and upload to gamebucket.io. Then post a link in the comments here so we can play it! No Google Play or Apple Store links. As a partnership you can share your game where you like, but I’m looking for gamebucket.io links only.
Taking from Zombie Runner, you will create your first FPS game. It will have 1 level. Your team will create all the assets; some purchased assets are permissible, but that’s not what these courses are about.
Zombie Runner had a theme of a lost soldier during a zombie apocalypse. You can change the theme and story setting as you please. Cowboys, Indians, Zombies, Aliens, Wizards, Knights, Giant Pink Rabbits, whatever you want. Likewise you should adapt the assets to match. The GDD (Game Design Document) below should fill in the remainder of the details to complete the challenge.
##My First FPS - Game Design Document
This is a single level FPS game. The player advances through a strip of land searching for waypoints giving the game a mission feel. The terrain can be laid out to be maze-like or obvious with obstacles to force a specific path and engage enemies.
- Player must first find a weapon for defense
- Enemies begin spawning after acquiring weapon or the rescue vehicle has been summoned
- Player must find a radio or beacon to summon rescue vehicle
- Player has 3:00 to reach a designated landing zone for extraction once the rescue vehicle has been summoned
- Player must make it past a physical obstacle and enemies to reach landing zone
How to Win
- Make it to all waypoints and get on rescue vehicle
- Don’t die
How to Lose
- Terrain hazards: drown in water, fall to your death
- Enemy capture or killed by enemy
- Not make it in time to rescue vehicle (waits 1:00 once it has arrived)
- After losing, a “play again” option is given
- Time elapsed to complete level
- Enemies killed
- 300 x 1200 meter terrain
- At least one weapon (e.g. rifle, this is a shooter!)
- Physical structure: shack, building, bridge, etc.
- Aerial rescue vehicle (create your own!), Zombie Runner used a helicopter
- Enemy - create a UV wrap for a 3rd person character from Unity or create one from scratch
- Sound effects: radio chatter, weapon noise, enemy, rescue vehicle, et al.
- Short description explaining your opening scene
Any Questions, ask below!