Incredible UI lag in UE5.3.2

Hey, unfortunately I am experiencing a huge lag in any UI elemen of the UE editor.
Everything else is working fine, but these delayed UI animations are very annoying.

I found this thread here which was talking about a similar issue: Open Unreal 5 editor menus make my mouse lag

But the solution mentioned in there did no work for me. I tried using a single monitor, disabling fullscreen mode and it did not work. Using the “Verify” function also didn’t work.

I also created a thread on the epic forums, but nobody replied yet: Editor Menus and UI Effects in UE 5.3.2 extremely delayed - Feedback & Requests - Epic Developer Community Forums

Unsure what to do next tbh.

Try to make taskbar alwayes visible not auto hide

1 Like

Forgot to mention that that was one of the first things I tried out along with not using full screen mode or using a single monitor or just the secondary monitor. Unfortunately none of them helped.

I also updated the forum post I linked above and can confirm that ue4.27 does not have this issue. It only seems to happen in ue5.

I assume your machine is up to spec? ie 32GB Ram and at least a 2060/3060/equivalent or later card for HD, better for 4K and ideally 2 SSDs, one for OS, another for UE and project?

Yes, I have a i9 14900, 65GB ram and a 4070. I think the PC should have enough power for it :smiley:

1 Like

Yeah, that’ll do it. I don’t have anything near as powerful as that and have no issues so it must me drivers or OS causing the problem. You have an SSD too I assume.

Yes indeed, everything runs on an SSD and Win 11. This is really weird. I don’t have any other software having this behavior. I opened a bug ticket now. Let’s see if they can help me.

Windows is completely up to date as well as my graphics driver.

Whats more interesting is that there are no such issues with the latest UE4.

I also use Windows 11, run using 3 SSDs (one for Windows, one for engines, one for code) but my CPU is far less powerful, a mere 10th Gen i7, and a 3060. I only have issues with 4k Resolution really but usually I can sustain 60fps which is fine.

UE4 is far less demanding than UE5 so it is no surprise it is fine. Do you have the same issues with UE5.2 - that I’d be curious about.

Is your UE Engine, project and Windows all on the same SSD? I ask because I know there were issues with Windows 11 and the SSD it is installed on - indexing services cause slow-down in performance. You really need 2 SSDs as us the recommendation for UE5.

Though not announced UE 5.3 is heavy on Hardware demands, They didn’t announce as they were experimenting in UE 5.3 at users expanse for the launch of UE 5.4. In UE5.4, they disclosed the Hardware requirements, which are way beyond any Individual. Well, I am not including people born with a golden spoon. Forget that there is going to be any update further to solve this issue.

I scaled my engine from Epic to High, which works for me. With your specs, try Engine Scalability Settings. If there is no success, there is no harm in working on 5.2!

Hey, thank you for your reply. This forum is much more responsive than the epic community forum, nobody replied there so far.

As for the settings, I tried them all down to the lowest and also tried out UE 5.2, but the results were unfortunately the same.

Only UE4 does not seem to have this issue.

Pc spec isn’t an issue here as they stated an i9. Even 5.1.0 which was really bad worked well with a 3060ti. The current requirements standing is 10th gen i7, equivalent or newer, 32gb ram (64 better) and a 2060 rtx or equivalent and 2 ssd. 5. 3 runs happily with that for me anyway (3060 instead) although I’ll be upgrading in the next 6 or so months to a 4070 and 14th gen intel. The issue is expense, and you are right but a 3060 or 4060 is more than adequate as long as it has 8gb ram on board. Just forget about laptops

I finally found the solution. I uninstalled multiple programs one by one until the editor was running smooth as butter. The software which was the culprit for me was: RivaTuner Statistics Server

I initially had installed this because I wanted to use MSI AfterBurner to undervolt my GPU. However, I never did that. So, not sure why it was causing such issues (only in the UE editor), but now its fixed and I’m happy.

Thanks for your help and responsiveness (pun intended) everyone :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Statistics and Server in the name to me never bodes well. Probably was writing constantly to the disk

This topic was automatically closed 24 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

Privacy & Terms