I'm not getting the vc.db file and I'm not getting .git file

when creating my unreal project and creating my get repository I didn’t get the vc.db, I also didn’t get the .git folder when I created my repository. (I’m using Visual Studio Code if that makes a difference)

Also when I changed preferences to Visual Studio Code and then created a component source file green underlines showed up under the #includes saying they couldn’t find those files

I asked a similar question on the discord and never got an answer.

As of right now these differences between what I’m seeing and what is in the lectures aren’t causing issues, but will this be a problem in the future?

You did connect VSC to UE Editor according to looks like maybe lectures 10 or 11?

Also lecture 117 shows how to reset the project though think they showed that earlier as well but not exactly sure where.

I can’t really help you with this except pointing out these two things as I don’t do things this way or even their way (such as with Github).

If all else fails, it might be faster to just use a different IDE. VSC isn’t going to work for everyone even if its a way to go. So you can try another one and see how you like that instead then always go back to VSC if you want.

10 and 11 only show you how to set up VScode to be able to build C++ through terminal, they haven’t made a revised lecture for Visual Studio Code and UE yet, I had to figure out how to do that myself but I already setup VScode as the default compiler and downloaded the correct .NET files.

Also I tried rebuilding in UE and nothing was different. What’s funny is my version control is working fine without the .git folder, so I’m guessing that the newer version of sourcetree doesn’t need it but I’m not sure. Ultimately what my question should have been is “Will this cause problems for me in the future?”

As of right now these differences between what I’m seeing and what is shown in the lecture aren’t causing problems.

The .git folder is hidden so if you don’t have “show hidden files” then you won’t see it.
As for VC.db, all of Visual Studio’s generated files are in .vs and similarly VS Code’s files are in .vscode.
However there are some files in .vscode you may actually want to track in which case you can use ! to say don’t ignore it e.g.

.vs
.vscode
!.vscode/settings.json

This topic was automatically closed after 3 days. New replies are no longer allowed.

Privacy & Terms