I'm excited about PlasticSCM

Checkout https://www.plasticscm.com, a version control system that seems to have one of the benefits of Git (in that it allows developers to work simultaneously on the same bit of code and merge to change it later) and systems like SVN which artists prefer so that they can lock their assets file, work on it, and then check back in later.

I would be interested to hear if anyone has any experience with this, and I suggest you all take a look.

1 Like

Haven’t had a chance to play with it, as Perforce is the leader in Source Control for Game Development and for good reason. It’s perfectly integrated in UE4, which is probably the reason why I love it so much.

There is a plugin available for both Unity AND UE4 for Plastic (although the UE4 one is harder to find, it’s on git https://github.com/SRombauts/UE4PlasticPlugin)

So pricing on this, which I vaguely mentioned on FB:

If I read this correctly: On-premise server = local server right?
So, for a team of up to 15, it’s $10 per user per month . Currently with Perforce, you get to use your local server or cloud FREE up to 5. So off the bat, that’s already way cheaper than Plastic.

And each Perforce license is roughly $750 after the first 5 free. (That’s perpetual and can be transferred)

Plastic requires a monthly sub UNLESS you do Enterprise… then it’s $595 perpetual.

But then it reads On Premise highly scalable server, so that confuses me a bit. So maybe On Premise, is actual On Premise servers over at Plastic, which to me reads Cloud Service more than On Premise. But whatever I suppose. I suppose I should just contact them for these questions, but I am very happy with Perforce at the moment.

Long story short. Plastic definitely seems like it could one day overtake Perforce if Perforce does not improve it’s UI/UX and workflow a bit better. But I doubt many big companies/studios are going to make the switch with all those Perforce licenses that they’ve bought.

This is definitely more geared towards new studios/companies, and that’s where their marketing should be.

Oh, forgot about Plastic Cloud. Basically $20/month, because 15GB is far too small for most projects.Well, Maybe one or two small projects.

So it all adds up pretty quick.

On premise means in your local data center, such as in the building where the business is run. Team Foundation Server is another example of a on-premise version control system which also has a cloud version (Visual Studio Online) that supports both TFS version control (more like SVN) and also supports Git. TFS/VSO also provides SCRUM and AGILE project management tools and build management templates integrated into, of course, the Visual Studio IDE. VS2015 Community being free, including Xamarin, Android, and iOS build tools. VSO is also 5 free users, additional license are paid through various means, eg MSDN subscription, or attachment to Azure or Office 365 services.

The thing with Plastic is its hybrid working method. Artists can work in “Gluon”, a simplified UI and checkout assets exclusively to prevent merge requirements. You can also visually diff images in a fantastic way.

Devs can continue to work in parallel, and use even more powerful merging facilities than Git.

The Community Edition is free for our students, then when you start a real commercial project it starts from a few dollars per month per user.

Seems a sensible offering overall to me.

Can you make a QuickStart guide to using PlasticSCM in Unity? Sounds like the source control we deserve.

Privacy & Terms