I wish I thought of that

Most of us are here learning how to create the games we love. If you could take credit for one of the games you love and say, “I made that!” Which one would it be?

I once thought of an idea, where you play as some sort of neutral diety, and you place resources and biomes and let civilisations form and fight over them.

It wasn’t even a week later until I heard of Reus, which was just a couple days from coming out, so… I felt pretty cheated lol. Even though it had been in development years before I thought of the idea! But that wasn’t the question, I just thought it was a funny game design story.

Some games I wish I could say I made (or at least contributed) are Does Not Commute (app store car game with a twist!), and the entirety of Rareware’s works before 2002, lol. But obviously, the number one game I wish I could say “This is something I did” is something like Undertale; a satirical indie game from guy that made a very large portion of the industry stop and take a look at itself. That’s what I want; something that actually and seriously makes a positive difference in the games industry, rather than a negative difference like Candy Cru$h and Cla$h of Clan$.

Or Dwarf Fortress, but, ain’t nobody got time fo’ that.

3 Likes

I think I was too young to think it when I first played it, but looking back I think I have those feelings for Black & White. I loved the immersive godlike RTS idea, and the glorified Tamagochi. Those were some cool ideas to stick together into one game.

Games like BitTrip Runner, they’re simple (and within my game design abilities) but hugely addictive.

My goal isn’t really to make games, what I am mainly learning for is to develop a new type of game tool set. I used a software a long time ago that made games extremely easy, you were just required to know the scripting language to make the full effects of development. The engines developers stopped updating and the software became vaporware, however how they set it up, and if they would of continued development would of been revolutionary in the game development industry.

Essentially their software took everything hard about developing a game, all the programming and knowledge needed, and removed it. However, they still have the customization through scripting language that allowed you to really add the look and feel that you wanted.

I think if I could recreate that, and give everyone with a dream and desire to make a game the power to do so with a easy knowledge learning base, that would be my true idea of ‘I made that’ love that I think every developer strives for.

Command and conquer series, and BioShock infinite
i’ve always been a fan of Rts, and the command and conquer series simply, hooked me right off the bat and ended up spending most of my childhood on it :smiley:

and for bioshock series, then, that series just simply have one of the best stories out there. one of the few game stories to actually take a toll on me i would have totally loved to be able to say “i worked on these tittles”.

i still have dreams about cool rts mechanics and stuff, and also cool stories like that :smiley: .

I don’t know if this counts, but I had always wanted to make my own Mega Man game or my own Final Fantasy game. I remember making up the bosses for a Mega Man sequel and drawing out levels. Then in high school, I actually wrote a Final Fantasy IV fan fiction for an assignment for English class (I got a B on it! :slight_smile: ). Ever since then, I’ve always harbored a secret (or sometimes not so secret) desire to create my own FF-style JRPG. And with the advent of Mega Man fan games, I’ve thought that making a MM fan game of my own would be good practice in game development. :slight_smile:

Privacy & Terms