I made a simple puzzle level, Medieval style!

This is the game that took me one week to make, it’s a very small level that can be finished in under 5 minutes. It has a lot of detail that really makes the game pop up.

I was going to continue on the game but i decided to continue with the course to learn new stuff as i have a lot of ideas that i don’t know how to implement them yet. It was a great experience and I will certainly do it again.

If you have a problem with getting ideas for your own game, here is my gameplay steps that may help you.

Step 1: Escaping the cell
The player spawns in a locked cell with a no way out. You find a key on the floor, if you get the key close enough to the lock the door opens (Convenient :wink: :joy:).

Step 2: Exploration
The player starts to explore the place around them finding closed rooms that you can only peak through that have no purpose in the gameplay.

In this stage you will probably find two main rooms.
Room 1,

Room 2,

Step 3: Connecting the dots
The player should have by now realized that the same alter is present in both rooms but only one with a totem (In Room 1) and the other without (In Room 2).

Step 4: moving the totem
The player tries to grabs the totem from Room 1 only to be surprised that the pressure plate on the alter rises, the gate is lowered and they are locked in that room.

Step 5: Escaping the Room
The player by this point should find a table with a bunch of stuff on it.

When they try to pick up some of the stuff and try to put them on the alter they find that only one of them (The heaviest) can move the pressure plate down to open the door.

Step 6: Escaping the dungeon
The player grabs the totem and rushes to the other room (Room 2), and places the totem on the alter there. They wait a while until the pressure plate drops and the doors open and they see the light of day and escape the dungeon.

Notes:

1. I did my best to make it enjoyable and exciting, it may be short but i had fun while making it.
  2. The dungeon is quite large with a lot of things to discover, I didn’t show all the dungeon in the
    images above, but you can get the idea of it.
  3. Every alter has a pressure plate that is made out of stone that moves when the player puts an object that is heavy enough(Ex. The totem, the vase in Room 1).
  4. I made the game with a lot of long corridors that elevate to give a sense of anticipation.
  5. I am only 16 form Egypt and only beginning my journey. Constructive criticism is appreciated :blush:.

Thank you for your time, Mohamed Taha.

6 Likes

Omg! Wow this is incredible! The amount of detail and work you put in is incredible! Keep it up! I can’t wait to play it!

1 Like

Can you post a youtube video walkthrough? thanks! Well done!

Nice job. Did you ever record a video clip of you playing it?

From the pictures I would say the only feedback I have is visual: I would find ways to introduce other colors in addition to yellow and ocher.

Nice assets though!

+1 for a video walk through! That looks amazing, would love to see a play through of it!

Your game has a Legend of Grimrock vibe to me.

Privacy & Terms