I made a full game using this course section!

Hi everybody! I wanted to share the game that I made using the Building Escape section. After I finished the single pressure plate room, I asked myself, “where should this door lead?” So, I took that idea and tried to come up with another idea using what I had already learned. But that room just led to the same question, again and again. So, I kept going and before I knew it, I’d created an entire game. LOL

It’s short, only about 30 minutes, but it was a full game with a beginning, an end, and a story. I created everything using the tools and tips that I learned in this course. For assets, I dug through the Unreal Marketplace, and for audio, I used Freesound.org (when I didn’t use Audacity to make my own).

I took way longer than I should have, almost 6 months, but I’m kind of proud of what it turned into. I wanted to share this project here to let other students see what types of things they could build using what they have learned here.

Now, obviously I didn’t learn every mechanic here and I relied a lot on blueprints when I got stuck, but the approach to problem-solving and the methods they taught me for looking up solutions were EXTREMELY helpful. I’ll never try to pretend that it’s the greatest game, but it’s my first, and I made the whole thing myself. That’s pretty freaking cool!

So thank you to the GameDev instructors! Now, finally, (6 months later) I can’t wait to actually get back in and finish the second half of this course! LOL

Here’s a link to a trailer that I made for the game.

Here’s a link for anybody who might want to play it for free on GameJolt.

And here’s a Let’s Play by a popular YouTuber if you’d rather just see it in action.

I hope that you guys like it and that it might help to motivate any fellow game devs out there who might need that extra push to keep going! Don’t give up! Making games is awesome!

12 Likes

Great job Joe!

I can definitely see some of the lesson concepts in your project and you did a fantastic job developing your scene and “feel” within the game.

I’m jealous and will hopefully catch up to you eventually.

1 Like

Thank you! It was fun to try and build off the mechanics from the course and use them in different ways. Plus it really reinforced what I was learning because I couldn’t just copy the code, I had to reimplement it and tweak it.

How’s the course going for you so far?

Man that’s good! My dream is to make a game just like Granny(name of a game, available on iOS and Android)

1 Like

Wow this is incredible work!! I would love to see this shared everywhere!

1 Like

Thank you! You can definitely do that if you stay dedicated. I would start by focusing on a single mechanic at a time. For example, start with basic movement, once that’s working, just focus on on picking up an object and work that until you get it where you like it, then maybe move onto opening doors, etc. and go from there. I found it easier to set little goals each time and get them solid before moving on, instead of trying to conceive and build the whole thing at once. (Which is overwhelming) Plus, it’s easier to measure your progress this way. (At least this method is what worked well for me.) You’ll have to let us know how it progresses. Good luck!

Thank you! Anybody is welcome to share it if they like. I had so much fun making it, I just hope it can motivate other novice developers like myself to keep pushing to finish their projects.

I enjoyed your game but I had some issues with it.

The pause doesn’t work, I pressed Esc, then V and the game froze, I tried it again just out of curiosity and yeah, it froze, then I pressed Esc by accident but this time I clicked the Resume UI button, the game didn’t freeze… it did but at least not completely, I was able to look around but not move.

My final issue was with the last part, when the lights start exploding and you can hear screams, I had to watch the youtuber to see how he did it because I never saw that huge message in the wall, you could make it just a little more obvious, because as it is I had a very hard time trying to figure it out, and even after knowing that was there, it kinda blends with everything, I know it’s a puzzle but it’s hard to pay attention to that particular part of the wall when in that kind of situation, everything is screaming for the player’s attention but the wall.

Overwall I think you did a great job! The puzzles were fun, the atmosphere was great, the story was nice, you got me with some of the jumpscares, so pretty well done.

2 Likes

Thank you for the feedback! I hadn’t heard about the pause menu issues before so that’s interesting. I pause the game a little differently for the pause menu than I do for the letters (where V is used to un-pause) so there must be some conflict occurring when they are called at the same time. I’ll have to look into it. Thank you for letting me know!

Also, I agree with your feedback on the writing. I was going for subtle but it’s probably a little too much with everything that’s going on. I will probably go back and tweak it after I finish up with the next section of the course.

Thank you again for the feedback! I really appreciate you checking it out.

2 Likes

Privacy & Terms