I finished my cat sculpture!

I got a little slowed down the past few weeks with finishing the model… hair particles, grooming, blender youtube rabbit holes, and so on but I think my model is in good shape now. This is a model of my own cat Monty, who also slowed me down from finishing because he always wanted attention when I was trying to work on this.

I had so much fun finishing this unit! (and all the units!)
I had about 4-5 sets of particles for different hair on the body, and I think that really helped for the look I was going for. Also all the grooming time is definitely worth it. Finally, I had to bump up my transparency light path number to about 48 for this render to get rid of enough shadow in the grass to blend in closer to the hdri. Just a couple points in case that’s something anyone is stuck on!

Happy blending!

6 Likes

More of a dog person myself but cool lol

2 Likes

Well done, and especially the grass meeting up with the HDRi. Looks as if it’s all one image. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Great hair combing!
The grass could use more variation.
Rotation, shapes.

1 Like

Thanks, that was what I was going for! I tried to find a sweet spot in the HDRi that would look good with the central grass plain, and I also played around with the greens in the grass image so it looked closer to that particular field in the background.

Thanks! That’s fair about the grass variation. It’s funny because when you’re in the scene setting everything up and you see all the different scales of grass particles you think it looks pretty varied, but sometimes it really helps to look at it with a fresh pair of eyes!

1 Like

You have done a really good job on your cat! Also good scene matching to the hdri.
Only critique really is the eyes are a bit too ‘bug eyed’, unless Monty is very startled and scared!
Fur is nice taking the time really pays off.

1 Like

Looks excellent. I’m excited to get started in Blender. Great work!

1 Like

Thank you!
I see what you mean about the eyes. I had modeled most of the cat before adding the eyes, like in the lecture series, and I think I should have added them in a lot sooner. Haha it always seemed like if I moved them in a little it was too far in and if I moved them back out, it was too far out! I think I’d like to practice on more models and make another try of this one in the future.

2 Likes

Awesome, thanks! Learning Blender has been a fun ride so far!

1 Like

Privacy & Terms