Huge assortment of mobile devices. Welcome to the HD/UD problem

One of the most important things I’ve had to learn when designing a mobile game is how to make it look clean and polished on a huge variety of mobile devices. Imagine the frustration of building a game for mobile and realizing that it looks crisp and clean on one device, but looks stretched and blurry on another. Or creating UD assets for a high-end device and realizing that those same graphics eat up all the memory on a low-end device thus making the game virtually unplayable. In Unity, this problem is solved with AssetBundles, but there are no tutorials on this. Also can be solve with the Resource folder, but highly not recommended do to performance issues. Do you think the GameDev team should focus on this? Or do you have a custom solution to this problem? Please comment; I would love to hear it.

I know this is part of the reason many developers do iOS first. Just a smaller number of devices compared to android. Not wanting to start a war with this comment, just an observation and something I have read many times on developer blogs.

I have run into a similar issue and I have no idea about Asset Bundles. My game runs smoothly on my One Plus 3T but not on my Galaxy J7 and Galaxy Tab A. Could anyone provide a possible solution to it?

Asset Bundles have been deprecated by Unity. The new way to do it is with Addressables. Unfortunately, there are no tutorials that I have found that are easy to follow for new coders and/ or new users of Unity. I’m surprised this post hasn’t had too many responses since it pertains to everyone who is designing a game for mobile. I’m designing a game myself and I guess the best template would be 1920 x 1080 since that is a good middle ground between low end and high end devices. I was in the same boat as you! My game ran great on my HTC One but the frame rate dropped on my J7 and Kindle HD tablet. I have research this a great deal and will help you anyway I can.

Privacy & Terms