How would you go about scaling ability effectiveness?

Say you have an ability at level 1. It feels great doing like 10 damage. You level all the way up to 5, the enemies are leveled up, but you’re ability is still doing 10 damage.

How would you go about scaling the ability effectiveness? Use Stats and create a progression of damage just for that ability? Use damage stuff to, add a percentage to your damage when you use that ability? (like one ability does 1.5x your damage stat) or when healing like, heal for a percentage of your current health rather than a straight number?

Stats could work, if you feel a percentage would feel nice, it could definetly work too.
I made a scriptable object with a class in it to hold all stats per level, kinda like in Progression/progressionStat in the RPG course.
Now i just make a new scriptable object for each spell, and that holds the damage, cooldown, duration and all else needed, i drag it on a serializefield i made in the spell and it just gets the information there.
I personally do not want everything scaling the same, and also not have each ability “level up” each character level, say 1 ability levels up when char is 5, 10, 15 etc, another might only do when 10,20,30 or smaller interval, that way i have alot of freedom.

So you would do a “progression stat” kind of SO specifically for Abilities, and then each ability have their “progression”. That’s a pretty solid idea, and seems the most logical if you want level spikes leveling up like you suggest.

I would probably like to have the spells scale, so that as you level up you’re getting more powerful, but you can then control the damage you output in the base stat damage.

Yeah that can definetly work too, i only want my basic attack to scale each level.
Spells only on certain levels, kind of like how it works in World of Warcraft.
So yea, there are many ways to go about this i guess, depending on how one would want it in their game.

I have different stats for melee, magic, and ranged. A given ability will damage based on one of these attributes (and the poor bloke who you targetted will defend based on the same category of attribut, i.e. magicAttack/magicDefense.

For me, Strength affects melee attack, Agility affects ranged attack, and Intelligence affects magic attacks.

Privacy & Terms