How important is it to do courses in the 'right' order?

I’m about halfway through the Unity 3D course and I’m thinking ahead to when I’ll want to progress my Blender skills. I’m working towards a character-based FPS game. I’ve dabbled with game development and modelling over the years but I’m by no means competent at either.

Given how long the beginner’s Blender course is, I’m wondering how important it is to complete that one before starting the character course? Is there a lot of overlap? Is basic Blender experience enough to complete the character course or am I going to miss crucial aspects?

1 Like

From what I understand there is a lot of repetition at the beginning of what I think of as the other courses. Environment and character. Regarding the Beginner’s Blender modeling course as the starting point.

I had dabbled with Blender before this course, but found it worth going through from the beginning, there are always little aspects that you may not have chanced across, that come up. It may well be easier to skip some of the later course to do with getting 3d images into video sort of thing as not relevant to your objectives.

2 Likes

I did all three courses. I started with Blender and completed it. But my interest goes to animation so I did the character. Then environment, but due to my bad understanding of English. I thought it was about scenes like landscapes etc.

But all three start with basic blender UI explanatory. Working with blender in general; vertices, faces, edges, duplication, etc. But all three in a different way. You still learn something.

In blender general, you learn something about armature (the lamp). But in the character, using bones on a figure and more animation, using the NLA editor. But the character course does only simple character deformations. While I wanted to progress in more heavy models. How to fix deformations, etc. The environment course, was very helpful in working with UV-Maps. I learned a lot on that aspect.

So If you want to model a figure and make it walk in your game, use characters. You get an Blender introduction. If you know this, then just watch the videos. The challenges then are easy to do and a nice repetition. And you start to build your Cube dude.

2 Likes

Great reply. Thank you!

This topic was automatically closed 24 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

Privacy & Terms