How does Rick move the tiles in the closing seconds of the lecture?

Right at the end Rick moves 4 tiles in the scene video. The video is speeded up at this point so I cannot quite work out how he did it.

He presses the arrow icon on the palette - what next? I’ve clicked on the arrow and then selected the tiles but the move icon in neither the palette nor scene view moves the selected tiles.

THanks,

K

Hi kmamor,

I’m currently a bit confused. Is this the same problem as in your other thread?

If not, would you mind sharing a screenshot? Or maybe point us to the minute in the video where you saw Rick do something. He does a lot his videos. It is very likely that I will watch the wrong part.

Hi Nina,

No this is a different issue. I’m wondering how at 7.34mins Rick moves 4 tiles on the scene view . (I’ve tried taking a screenshot but for some reason it doesn’t pick up the video just the surrounding desktop.) He moves 4 tiles upwards in order that the platform is higher than the water. I cannot follow how he does that. (A more time consuming work around is to delete the 4 tiles and then repaint them on a row above then add filler where the deleted tiles were).

Thanks

K

I’ve just checked the manual. Click the link below and scroll to Modify Tilemap. Then enable the Gizmo toolbar if it isn’t visible in your Inspector. If you scroll down farther, there are lots of examples with pictures of what you can do with the tool.

Is this what you wanted to know?

OK - so I used the palette select tool to select 3 tiles (indicated icon and the 3 tiles):

Then I selected the move icon in the inspector

The usual move arrows appear (this is new I didn’t get this far yesterday) however they don’t do anything. I have moved assets before using the move icon on the scene - but these arrows here don’t do anything?

K

That’s indeed odd but I’ve just noticed that you are using an ancient version of Unity. Maybe you are experiencing a bug.

First of all, make a backup of your project folder by duplicating it. Save the duplicated folder somewhere else, maybe on an USB stick. To save some free space, you could delete the Library and Temp folders in the backup folder.

Then install the latest stable version of Unity. Import your project (not the backup!). Then try to move the tiles again.

I created the project using Unity 2021.3.30f1 - isn’t that what Gary is using? In the course preamble it mentions that the course has been updated for Unity 2021. I have later versions installed but chose 2021 so that I had the same functionality as the lecturers and so would minimize queries.

K

The problem is that the Unity Editor always contains bugs. As a game developer/programmer, dealing with problems like these is part of the job, so don’t worry too much about potential bugs.

The relevant question is: Are there any bugs affecting your project in a negative way?

From what I see in the video, Rick uses Unity 2021.1.5f1. Despite the ‘2021’, Unity 2021.3.30f1 is not the same version as his. For this reason, I would suggest to install the latest stable version of 2023. If moving the tiles in that version does not work either, you still have your backup, and you could retrieve your project and continue using Unity 2021.3.30f1.

Bingo - it’s now working using 2023.1.14f.

Thanks (as ever) for your patience.

K

Awesome! :slight_smile:

May I ask why you are using 2023.1.14f instead of Unity 2023.2.5? Did you have that version installed? Or did you install it on purpose?

I had 2023.114f already installed and as I’d only downloaded it a about 6 weeks ago I’d assumed it was still the latest version. But looking at the Unity website I see there have already been a few newer versions published. I’m downloading .2.5 as I type and I’ll use that.

Thanks,

K

You don’t have to download the latest version if your current Unity version works. As aforementioned, there are bugs in all Unity versions. If you found a version that works for you, it is not advisable to update unless there is a very good reason for it such as a bug preventing you from developing your game, or a new feature that you need. There is a saying: ‘Never change a running system.’

Feel free to use a newer version for the next project if you want. :slight_smile:

This topic was automatically closed 24 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

Privacy & Terms