Hi There! Need a bit of help with Godot signals and methods if possible. Thanks!

Hi,
I recently enrolled on the Godot course on Udemy and so far, I think it’s absolutely fantastic! Yann is a great lecturer, very clear and occasionally quite funny :slight_smile:

I’ve been try to use what I’ve learnt with some of my other attempts at learning Godot from YouTube and I’ve run into a problem that has been holding me back for quite some time.

I get the following error message:

E 0:00:02.049 emit_signal: Error calling method from signal ‘body_entered’: ‘KinematicBody2D(Player.gd)::_on_BlueGem_body_entered’: Method not found…
<C++ Source> core/object.cpp:1260 @ emit_signal()

It’s been a long time since I did any OO coding (mid 90s) so I’m trying to re-learn it.
Many thanks for any help received!
Cheers, Dave.

Hi Dave,

is this the same one we worked through on Discord last night?

just for info for others and something to watch out for, signals can be attached to an instanced scene in say a level, and they can also be within the scene ‘prefab’ themselves. which may lead to having duplicate signals. so we just disconnected the non defined signal as shown.

and your games looking sweet, so keep us posted on how you get on with it :wink:

1 Like

Hello Darren!
Yes mate, that was me. You were totally correct with your guess about rearranging things when testing - I think I had one blue gem at the time, then at a later date I restructured the scene tree to tidy it up by placing all the gems in blank nodes. I must have re-connected blue gem node, but didn’t realise it had also kept the original (now broken) connection. That was why I was confused because it was still working. Naturally, I must have then proceded to duplicate my error another 19 times…
Many thanks for helping me out last night - all broken connections are now removed and a lesson learnt :slight_smile:
Cheers!
Dave. :+1:t2: :+1:t2: :+1:t2:

Cool beans. Don’t think i can mark this one as solved on here. If you could mark as solved that would be grand :slight_smile:

Willdo!
Cheers buddy!

Just noting that you couldn’t mark it as solved due this being posted in Talk. I’ve moved it to Ask and marked @OboShape’s initial reply as the answer.

2 Likes

Ah brilliant! Thanks very much - I was wondering why I couldn’t find it.
Much appreciated!
Thanks,
Dave.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 24 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

Privacy & Terms