Hi Class, can I get some feedback on the look and feel of my game so far?

Martin Antonetty

Please view my game called Portal Reign I’m almost done with this game needing the enemies to shoot at the player and possibly tweak out the distance of how far the player guns shoot. Any feedback is appreciated :wink:

https://www.dmmsdi.com/images/Adobe%20Premiere%20Pro%20Auto-Save/portalreignsample.mp4

2 Likes

Hey,

Well done on completing this part of the course and getting this far, some items of feedback as requested;

• title sequence, seems quite long with the planet on show and, ironically, no title :slight_smile:

• take off is a nice touch

• nice looking, alien, textures

• player movement is a bit disjointed, it doesn’t flow smoothly, there are quite a few places where the player slows on corners and then it looked like they go backwards also, and come to a complete stop - for me that affects the flow of your game a little, it looks like you have deliberately paused the movement to give time for the player to shoot the enemies

• enemy animations, there were some nice ones, I especially liked the ones around 0:57, they start well but then are either repeating or just seem to give up, the moving towards the player and back works well, as does their slightly rotated angle - they need to do something, in my opinion, after that though, maybe flying side to side or back off the screen. The same is true for the first two enemies and the two that appear in the trench, they seem to move a bit into the game play and then just stop. As an experiment, maybe add another of the same type of ship at the beginning and in the trench and have them move in and then fly passed the player, see how that feels to you.

• score, as a player I’m not sure I’d look in the bottom left corner for it. It may depend what else you plan to offer, if there are going to be indicators for health/shields etc, perhaps these could be top left / top right and the player score in the middle?

I would like to see some additional animations where the enemies fly over/under the play, and off to the sides as opposed to just stopping for target practice, you could even add some in the background, some which are perhaps not intended to be shot at but are there to make it all look busier, they just need to be in the camera view whilst the player traverses that section of your rails.

Hope the above is of some use. :slight_smile:

Rob, I like your feedback I wish I could get more like this.

I made some changes to the speed and turning corners. I would like to make the enemies loop in their movements. I may have to redo all timelines to receive a better feel and flow when playing the game. I notice the same flaws you did when leaving the game alone and getting back to it. I’m just one guy doing many jobs in this game, I’m very aware that in the workplace there are many hands involved in tweaking out flaws and creating a product I that can sell (Not this game this is just a sample to play on my website) But still need samples working well that’s why I took this class. I will work on this-this coming week sometimes I have to rest and leave the PC alone resting allows me to work better. Thank you :slight_smile:

You’re very welcome.

Regarding the speeds on the corners and the straighter parts of the circuit, from memory I think Rick zoomed in/out a bit in the Scene view to show the grid background, he then said, “Ok, I want it to take X seconds to travel Y world units”, it was approximately but was a way to place your waypoints so that they are at fairly even distances apart. By doing that, you can then select all of them and move them all closer together or further apart to change the speed, in addition to the other techniques I mentioned in the other post. I think for the rail-shooter style game you’re best bet is to initially get a smooth flow all around the circuit, once you have that you can make the odd tweak here and there for specific locations but then after that you can control the speed via code for those after burner / air break moments :slight_smile:

Regarding feedback, once the topics drop off of the latest view here on the forum it does mean that people are only likely to see them if they click into a specific category. Likewise on Discord once you’ve posted it will gradually get bumped down and people will have to scroll to see your post. You could also try the Facebook groups too.

I will look forward to seeing your updated version in due course.

Good Morning, Rob, I made some changes to my timelines. Please feel free to review and let me know if I need to tweak it out more, that’s the look and feel of the game. I know I don’t have a title and the first two enemy ships are transports enemy ship it like they are landing. I could make them keep moving if you feel that will look better. But the first portion of the game should feel and look easy correct? Please click on the URL link to view. btw, how can I share my video on Facebook with the class? :slight_smile:

Hi,

I see, that didn’t really come across when I watched the video. Perhaps they need to actually land for that to be more apparent? The first one looks like its almost about to, but then gets destroyed, if you didn’t shoot it, would it just sit there floating in space? The second one certainly does that.

No link?

Just to check, do you mean you have added your video to Facebook and you want to share it, or, do you mean the video above and how would you share that on Facebook?

Hi, Rob, Thank you again I realize their no link the link just directs to the video I apologize(Will fix this). I’m adding thrusters to each ship player and enemies. I will also have the first to ship and any other enemy ship continue flying around by making more patterns for them its the only way I know how. Unless you know of a way I can make them loop? I already shared with the Facebook and Twitter audience in GameDev.

Thanks anyway. :slight_smile:

Privacy & Terms