Help with imported Rocket!

I imported a rocket that I created in Maya (saved it as a .fbx file (- still has all of the objects attached for some reason even though it was exported as one combined object… not sure if that has anything to do with this…). I attached everything I had with my original Unity-made rocket to this one, and it does not work. It explodes fine, and moves fine if I take away the original rocket from the scene. It won’t override the prefab though - it just says “Applying to Model Prefab is not possible” and Apply All is greyed out.

It also will not show the particles attached, and when I click on them inside the prefab window, it won’t show the rocket to where it should be attached to. Again, it explodes on impact fine, and success is fine - it’s just the thrusters and boosters that are not showing. I think this is an issue with making it larger, or attaching it to the Maya rocket properly, which I don’t think I can do if I can’t apply the override…

It also does not fly properly when I rotate the rocket 180, it switches the A and D keys. I’m sure that is just a simple coding fix inside the Movement code… I don’t know why it imported it backward.

Help Maya Rocket Front

Hi Daisy,

It’s create to see that you put some effort into the design of your rocket and created the model yourself. :slight_smile:

Regarding the issue with the particles, make sure that the thruster/booster particle systems from your Hierarchy (= the children of the rocket) are assigned to the correct fields. Do not assign any prefabs from your Assets folder because assets in the Assets folder do not exist in the scene.

Regarding the movement, make sure that the rocket is not selected while you are playing your game. In your other thread, I read that you use Unity 2018, which is a heavily outdated version of Unity. If I remember correctly, there was a strange bug which prevented the rocket from flying properly if it was selected.

I also read that you changed the mass of the rocket. I do not know what value you selected but if the rocket is too “heavy”, it might be that the main thrust value is currently too low.

1 Like

I was able to fix the particle issue! When you talked about parenting it to the child, I thought about something and re-did it. I realized that the particles were there all along, just for some reason very far away in the scene. They needed to be moved against the rocket, not in the prefab. Thank you :slight_smile: .

I still don’t know what exactly to do with the 180 issue (it flys weird because the controls are backward). I’m still not entirely sure how to fix the prefab saving issue either, I don’t quite understand what you mean there. So I can’t assign the scripts in the assets folder to the Maya rocket mesh?

Your Rocket component in your Hierarchy must not reference the particle system prefabs in your Assets folder. You could assign them but you would not see anything because the code would “play” the particle systems in the Assets folder. Those assets are not in the scene. Only things in the scene can be seen by the camera.

Don’t worry about this, though, because you already solved the problem with the “invisible” particle emission. :slight_smile:

I watched your video, and the movement of your rocket looks correct to me. If you feel that there is something wrong, I would suggest to download Rick’s project and test it to see if the movement is a “problem” of the game itself or exclusively part of your project. If you feel I misunderstood your problem, please point me to the mark in the video where I can see what you mean. Maybe I missed the part.

This topic was automatically closed 20 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

Privacy & Terms