Having weird errors show up across different IDE/Editors

Issue:

I was following along with the course and everything was going fine (mostly). Since, I had worked with VS Code and I don’t have much experience with Xcode I decided to follow this course along with Xcode. The code was working but I was running into the issue that Xcode wouldn’t stop indexing.
Although it wasn’t a deal breaker I decided to move to my bread and butter VS Code but I ran into more problems there regarding some CMake extension path. So I decided to move platforms again and switch to CLion (I am fairly ok with CLion). There I started getting the following issue:

Incomplete type ‘UBullCowCartridge’ named in nested name specifier

The program was functioning as expected though in all the three editors/IDE. After getting annoyed I decided to make a fresh install and deleted the project made a new project and coded everything as far as I had done previously, but this time in conjunction to the previous problems I have this new issue come up that although the code and everything seems correct when I compile it in unreal I get the compilation completed message but I do not get any of the desired outputs that I have coded in the Terminal of the game. It is really annoying me hope somebody can help me out. Below I am attaching all the resources for the errors and editor output I talked about in the post for your reference.

As you can see I am not getting any of the welcome messages I printed in my code and none of the game loop that I have coded thus far works either.
Also, the indexing never stops in Xcode and that work that problem still exists as well.
Please Help

I have no familiarity with Xcode but the VS Code project generation issues should have been fixed in 4.26.1. What version are you using?

Hey, Dan thanks for responding. I am using 4.26.1 indeed. When I switch it from Xcode to VS Code from Unreal Settings and refresh/generate the project for VS Code I get CMake error as shown below:

And if I compile the project in Unreal Engine. It doesn’t perform any of the Game loop functions I have coded in.

After switching to VS Code for the source code editor did you use File > Refresh VS Code project from within Unreal?

Yes, I did.

@SHuRiKeN do you know if there’s any issues with VS Code project generation on macOS?

Also sorry for always tagging you with VS Code issues :sweat_smile:.

No issues happy to help ! the cl.exe issue in the logs - there were people using mac OS having this while discussing the 4.26 intellisense issue https://github.com/microsoft/vscode-cpptools/issues/6358 You may talk to them on this issue if they have any temporary fix. @qjotx had this issue as well.

However:
Commit https://github.com/EpicGames/UnrealEngine/commit/44a4fcf03b56751709e8ce87c8c43e9f25b26a43

VSCode: Add a default configuration for the host platform (win32/linux/mac)

this one was a major commit for project configuration on all 3 platforms Windows/ Mac OS and Linux and this commit will arrive in 4.26.2 which adds default msvc config when using windows and clang when using Mac OS and Linux. This was to improve wrong configuration behavior like this.

The logs that harshit has are showing that it is going to gcc… as it was not able to find cl.exe. So I recommend to wait for 4.26.2. This commit arrived just after release of 4.26.1 on the same date 5th Feb “_” which is unfortunate. I have latest changes from github for Linux, but I can’t test on a Mac. However 99 percent this commit should fix the wrong configuration.

I don’t know anything about xcode however I can confirm there are no changes in xcode project files.

Maybe. Its Epic. Sometimes (often?) problems drag on for a while. Their testing isn’t very good.

It is a huge engine, so testing that much is not possible however thats why most companies use github source builds so they can get latest fixes and also pull future patches and other custom patches on their Unreal build. Companies like oculus even have their custom unreal engine repo…not just on linux, even if on windows or Mac OS people use github builds. As a normal desktop user its still recommended to use Binary version because it has less engine size and has easier compatibility with EGS and also it only has release versions as most desktop users won’t be comfortable getting patches everyday pulling them and compiling them. The fixes are made everyday !

I don’t view things that way. Yes, that fix a lot but they also change a lot and cause more things to fix because they don’t test enough. If they just tested better, the stuff they change would have less problems.

Its all speed related. Slow down, less problems are pushed out but they want to keep their schedule of changes. They could easily hire more devs to fix more problems and keep the same speed. Many businesses don’t want to do that. They make people work more or swamp them with work instead. Its the way it is :slight_smile:

The size of it is relative.

So, you suggest I wait for 4.26.2 to be made available on the public channel or should I try clean installing everything again. (Which I already have tried and it didn’t work :disappointed_relieved:)

So if I hit the Auto Save then then my TripleX.cpp is already been saved?

Once is enough as long as you did a clean install - as in removed all left over files, etc.

However, most problems won’t be solved that way. Its just those rare problems that are. So absolute max 2 times (one fully clean).

Don’t be saying in the future that you reinstalled 10 times :sweat_smile:

Yes, it saves your file after every new change that you make to the file. The status of which you can see next to the name of the file. An Asterix (usually it is an Asterix but sometimes it can be a different indicator like for my theme it is a big dot that replaces the close tab button) next to the filename would indicate the changes NEED to be saved and just the name as it is would indicate you are viewing the file as it has been saved.

Alright, but it’s so weird that It was working before and then suddenly it went Poof. Hopefully it is fixed soon.

Updates can do that and something that changed with your project if the problem is project based. But reinstalling again and again won’t do anything different by itself.

It is possible for eg AV software to cause a problem on install should that have updated to cause an issue or user changes there. Still, reinstalling won’t change it. The actual issue would have to change first.

If you can find an error in a log that might help narrow down to something.

Have you tested 4.26.2 ?

Privacy & Terms