Grease Pencil, real, Ricky & Laverna Lavalamp

Laverna Lavalamp gets Ricky’s attention…

Ok, this is a jpeg image, default settings, saving the rendered image.

2 Likes

Really hoping this is not heading into R-rated territory… :face_with_monocle:
Noticed your renders are unnecessarily big… try lowering the render percentage significantly to get your renders below 2k:
Anything above HD is over-kill for test renders. Also, in general it helps to be mindful of other’s bandwidth… Same goes for game assets… As much as computers have advanced in the past 50 years, the “less is more” principle still holds true.

2 Likes

honestly, dude, if that’s where the money is at, I’m game… :laughing: jk, I’ll keep it clean for this page.

1. does it really slow things down for the whole page if my renders are big? I like looking at the full screen renders, but surely if it’s a hindrance in any way, I’ll keep them small. I’ve been doing screenshots of full screen renders, but maybe from now on, I’ll just save the image as a png, if I can get that to work.
  2. ok, so, HD means 1280 x 720 pixels, right? so, my resolution is like yours, 1920 x 1080 pixels. So, that’s why I should put it at 50%, so does that cut down on pixels, to make it less than HD? is it half? 1920/2 x 1080/2, like that? this is all new to me, plz excuse my ignorance of all this stuff.
1 Like

So, this is using the 50% like you said to do. Is this better for everybody? then I’ll do this from now on.
Could I do both sometimes, & label what it is, Full HD or HD? It only slows it down if you click on it to enlarge it, right?

1 Like

I don’t know what happened with your first image, that was like a 10k image 5120x2880, which is excessive… HD at minimum is 1280 x 720 (also called 720p) , but these days just refers to 1920*1080 (1080p)… so for final renders the Full HD (1080p) is good, and anything less than that is fine for test renders. :+1:

2 Likes

ok, thanks, I don’t know how that happened, but I’ll watch out for it next time.
(Btw, I do joke around sometimes, like with the clown condom fish, but I’m never, ya know, skanky, or dirty, not intentionally. I once deleted a render bc of the position of the cannon on top of the rook & how it might possibly be misconstrued: I just don’t think that way; for me, a cannon is a cannon. But, I suppose these issues come up, especially with anthropomorphized objects like the kind I make.)

1 Like

One thing to consider is that most people are using screens that are only “High Defenition”. So, giving them a UHD (aka: 4K, Ultra High Def) is a waste of your time and their resources. It also uses up extra space on GameDev.tv’s servers. So, if you leave your render resolution at the default (1920 x 1080) anything up to 100% is good for sharing here and anything over 100% is excessive and wasteful.

2 Likes

what’s been happening is I’ve been using screenshots, so I get the rendered image, & then use the scroll wheel to zoom in & have the image take up the entire screen, & then take a screenshot of that, which is why it’s getting the 5000 range & so on, so I won’t do that anymore, I’ll just save the rendered image as is. thanks for your feedback.

As I’ve said earlier, I draw a lot of inspiration for my projects these days from listening to the music of Prince, who I’m often listening to while I’m designing a project, or there will be a song of his on loop in my head, so I’m aiming for the Prince esthetic: yes, sensual, & also spiritual, fun & expressive, it’s all in there. I won’t go R-rating, but maybe PG-13, or should I say NPG-13, :purple_heart: :grinning:(New Power Generation, Prince’s band…)

Some do High res uploads. Then the forum software will reduce them in size. Which leads to some sort of anti-aliasing and denoising.

As @FedPete mentions, high res images should not be a problem, this board creates a small version anyway, to see full res you then have to click on the image. With 4k monitors now, 3840 x 2160 is the new ordinary full screen image.

1 Like

According to Steam hardware survey, only 35% or respondents had 4k… overwhelming majority still have 1080p. So, the issue is still that a 10k image (the original post that Bradley kindly fixed) is excessive and anyone who happens to click past the preview will get a significant bandwidth hit. Until Steam survey says otherwise, really, don’t bother with a 4k image… The majority of people won’t be able to appreciate it.

3 Likes

Privacy & Terms