Gneiss Kitty's Street Scene

This is my street scene!

I made the following prefabs for this scene: car (from previous assignment), cargo truck, log truck, street lamp, bench, tree (with nested prefab planter base), and sidewalks (also a nested prefab).

Some things I noticed:

1. I used parts from the car for the trucks (the headlights, the grill, the tires, etc.) It was mighty convenient we were instructed to name and group things in an organized fashion.

2. When creating the second truck, I wanted to use basically all of the existing truck. I actually started to use the existing truck’s components and Unity would not allow me to edit an instance of the object without first doing so in the prefab. I ended up having to select the prefab/prefab components I wanted to use, copy it, deselect the prefab/components, and THEN paste before I was able to use objects independently of the prefab. I admit, knowing that I cannot accidently change my prefabs is nice.

3. I noticed that prefabs maintain their dimension when they are ported in. I designed the bench and tree/planter a little too small and needed to resize them to match the proportions of the cars and trucks. Once I found the appropriate size for these objects, I replaced the original prefabs.

4. The tiles in my sidewalk are not perfectly aligned. I started with 4 tile segments and a curb, then duplicated (actually created a prefab) and rotated to make a 4x2-tile sidewalk segment. BUT I did not align them properly, so when I created the rest of my sidewalk (contains 12 of the original 4x1+curb refab), the problem propagated!

• So basically, I created a problem, then copied it 11 times. The time to fix the error now is enormous compared to the extra time it would have taken to pay a little more attention in the beginning :slight_smile:

I am particularly fond of angle and edge snapping and have not discovered this yet in unity.

Well, there’s my scene and my novel.
Have a great day! :slight_smile:

8 Likes

Nice scene.

You can snap to vertices by holding down the ‘V’ key. I think there’s also some addons that really expand the ability to snap to points / grids etc. From memory there was a really popular one that I think they were integrating into the software as standard.

1 Like

whoa that is really good, you got talent

1 Like

really good job, well done

1 Like

Wow, this is really detailed. Very nice! The trees and the benches on the sidewalk are a neat touch

1 Like

Nice!

1 Like

Nice! I love the details!

1 Like

That’s way more detailed than I even thought of getting for this little exercise. Very well done!

1 Like

Privacy & Terms