Glass bottle material in Cycles

Hi everyone, I have modeled a simple glass bottle but I can’t seem to get a realistic glass material. Especially the reflections, they are sometimes sharp and/or stretched in some weird places. I made it starting with a cylinder, removed the top faces and used a solidify modifier for the thickness. Here’s a few shots :

Also, do you have any tips for making the glass less perfect ? You know like those spots where the glass didn’t formed exactly the same way and deform the light passing through ?
Like this :

5 Likes

That’s really nice!

Some say that glass is the most difficult thing to get looking realistic in blender. If you search for glass nodes out there you’ll see crazy nodes setups…

But look at this… Despite might not be what you’re looking for maybe you get some ideas from it. Why is glass and water so difficult?

About the “imperfections” you could simply try adding a Noise Texture plug it to a Color Ramp for control and then to the Displacement of the Material Output.

3 Likes

Thanks !

I’ve been reading the post you linked and also watched a video about it and yeah good looking glass materials seems like a step beyond my abilities for the moment.

Your tip about the noise texture turned out great tho ! I tried plugging it into displacement and the IOR channel and both are getting close to that warped glass effect. I need to understand how the color ramp works a little better because fiddling with the sliders is a pain and the noise texture is maybe a bit sharp for the effect but that’s for later :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Glad to be of help!

Don’t really follow the intructions of the post regarding the IOR for your case, because there we were trying a “hacky” way to make a single object look like it was filled with water while maintaining thr “glass” outside.
That being said if you want to fill you bottle with water you can add another object with different IOR.

With the Ramp you can change the influence of the black and white of the texture, you can also set to B-Spline to make the transition more smooth. Slide the position of the colors and you’ll see that stuff will happen… Experiment.
You can also make the white darker if you want a less strong effect.

If you have Node Wrangler enabled you can Ctrl+Shift+Click and see what you are doing with the node

2 Likes

good information, capa, thanks. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Now that Blue bottle is really well made and scened :slightly_smiling_face:

The mix with Glossy Black is to give that dark outline we see on the other bottle… it’s not perfect but fakes it good enough :smile:

In this scene i’m using HDRI as Environment Texture

2 Likes

Impressive work ! Thanks for sharing your material :smiley:

Privacy & Terms