Generated texture - Chess Squares

Going for something like a hard plastic board for the squares.

13 Likes

I’m liking the look of the borders around the squares.

3 Likes

Very nice restrained realistic texture effect. This part many people go crazy with extreme textures playing with the dials!

2 Likes

I like the effect, but I was wondering whether normal perturbation had any perceptible effect in this case. I would be curious to see a side-by-side comparison with just the color and roughness noise.

You’re right the normal perturbation has a very small effect. I was playing around with the various settings and that is were I finished up. I think I started with adding the Normal map first and later used the same noise for the roughness. To me it seems to add a small but subtle difference in raking light and overhead shots.

Sorry for the long delay. I was very busy with other activities for several weeks.

If I follow you, adding the texture controlled roughness changes the appearance. I agree that the 3rd render is much nicer than the 2nd. The normals alone also have an effect over nothing at all.

I was wondering whether roughness texture alone would be similar to the 3rd render, or would look different from the other three renders.

It’s so clean ! i love it !

1 Like

The borders are a really good touch to this. Awesome board

1 Like

Privacy & Terms