[GAME] Shoot Some Lasers! Try your best to get over 1000 points!

Defend the Galaxy with all your might! Fight your best against endless waves of enemy ships, use your special attacks and maneuvers to take out as many as you can!
https://gamebucket.io/game/79a7de2f-c24c-4eea-8adc-03e03bb1befe

I tweeted it also, cause social media and all that jazz:

Thanks for playing :slight_smile: Feedback Appreciated!

3 Likes

This is well done Corey :). I dig the special move and the little extra visual touches. For example when you hit an enemy the little bounce from the hit add a lot. And for the special shot–using it strategically is fun. If you are looking for any feedback I would say slow the progression on enemy fire rate. It is a bit fast for the first levels. I hope you keep poking at this game as I would like to see your approach to some more powerups.

Did you use a tweener at all to achieve any of your effects?

1 Like

This is nicely refined. It feels like you’ve put a lot of thought and care into it, very fun to play.

Feedback!

Have you tried increasing the likelihood of the drops depending on if the player needs them? I had one round where all I got was health increases, though my health was full. Another I lasted for about 7-8 minutes however not a single score multiplier, so my score was rubbish!

Now, I’m going back to try and beat that 1,000 score…

1 Like

hahah quite fun!, nice game dude! I think we’ll appreciate better the animations and enemies if you move them a little bit closer to the player ship

1 Like

Just reiterating some of the feedback about Corey, this is a really great take on the Laser Defender game. You have added many really nice and unique features to this, it all just works and fits. Well done.

Two observations for you;

• When you “try again” or return to the main menu and “start”, the level that you had previously got to isn’t reset
  • It would be great to see some of the ships perhaps move down the screen rather than only side to side at the top (maybe I didn’t get far enough to see some additional animations?)

All in all a very nice game - well done :slight_smile:

p.s. I really like the home missiles from the enemy ships - great feature :slight_smile:

1 Like

Just getting round to trying this now. There’s a lot to like here, the sounds, the feel, the particles.

When you lose the menu has a tendency to disappear immediately because you’re pushing space, maybe a different key?

Otherwise amazing.

1 Like

Very good effort indeed. Very balanced and playable game. Actually after playing a couple of times, I have to admit this is the most fun version on the site that I have seen!
Special compliment on the homing missiles (and the semi-homing lasers), they really force you to change your playing, very cool. As player you need to understand the behavior of your enemies and their projectiles so you can adjust. In terms of agency and playing experience, this game is perfect.

One tiny suggestion: the fonts present the ‘1’ in a way that I read it as a ‘7’, I found that confusing in both the score and in the wave number. Perhaps I’m the only, just wanted to let you know. Anyway, with pride I present my 7074 highscore :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: :

1 Like

Wow! So much Awesome feedback!

Its been a while since I touched anything Unity, & decided to get back into it just recently, its really inspiring & motivating to come back seeing people enjoy the game I made :slight_smile:

Addressing some of the feedback:
@jason_williams, After playing it again after such a long time I can definitely see what you are saying about the enemy fire rate at the early levels, its quite fast when you haven’t played before. I think when I was making it, I got so used to the speeds that it kept feeling to easy, so I used them up. Also, I don’t know what a tweener is :slight_smile: so I can’t help with that sorry.
@Chris_Scales, each of the ships actually has different chances to drop different items, some can drop all of them, others only one or two, this was to make the rewards for beating each ship type different. Although after playing it again after such a long time, I can see the benefits of altering the drop rates a bit.
@luis.morales, I had wanted to have the ships coming closer or pressing on the player some how, but the things I tried weren’t quite working for me at the time, as if the ships got to close it was impossible to dodge as the player. If I ever went back to this game, I will definitely think of ways I can incorporate bringing the enemies closer.
@Rob, I can’t seem to see what you mean with the ‘try again’ & ‘start’ buttons, it always resets for me. And for the ships moving down screen, it was something I couldn’t figure out how to do the way I wanted at the time & decided that I might learn more moving on to the next thing & could come back and add it at some point.
@ben, I actually chose to have space as the restart key, because I wanted to minimize the time a player would spend having to jump back into the game. I can see if you aren’t holding space & rather constantly pressing it, then you would constantly end up starting new games instantly, which would be annoying. Definitely something I will consider if I ever go back to it though :slight_smile:
@Duckfest_JF, Thank you so much for such kind words! It was a blast to make as well :slight_smile: And yea, I have to agree after coming back to the game, the font is very confusing.

Thanks Again all!
Looking forward to getting back into it.

Hi Corey,

I tried your game again and realised what it was, I must have got to about wave 7 perhaps and when it restarted, the font which displays the wave numbers, the “1” looked a bit like a “7”, just a case of myself misreading. My apologies :slight_smile:

Privacy & Terms