Game Mechanics and Controls Challenge

Game Mechanics of Sonic the Hedgehog:

• Walking/running
  • Superfast/speedball running
  • Jumping
  • Collecting coins (these coins also double as your health)
  • Health (if you are hit, all the coins you have are launched out of you, and you have a limited time to recollect them)
    • If you are hit when you have no coins, you die
  • Swimming
  • Ledge hanging

On a gamepad, Sonic’s movement would be handled by analog sticks, with a button being used for jumping and another for triggering his speedball running (if I recall correctly, you would crouch, then hold down a button and release it). Swimming would also be handled by the analogue stick, and obviously Sonic’s movement controls allow him to collect coins. Ledge hanging is automatic if you jump onto a ledge face and don’t quite make the top. You can then jump and move yourself onto the ledge.
Tails and Knuckles had a couple of unique abilities: Tails can fly, so another button should be used for that, while Knuckles could actually walk up cliff faces, so the same button could be used to allow that.

Keyboard controls would be mapped very similar, the main difference being that the movement would be controlled by the WASD keys (and could be mapped to the arrow keys as well, in case the player had that preference). Keyboard keys, probably those near WASD, would be used for jumping, flying and activating other abilities.

1 Like

Great work. Very detailed. I like that you added the coins mechanic, that’s something I missed.

Game Mechanics for Sonic:

• Collect rings (Rings make your health increased on high quantity, and if you get out of
    rings when get hit, and get hit again, you will die).

• Running, jumping, rolling, ledge hanging (rolling at run and/or holding rolling button
    staying stand, make you rolling forward at superspeed). Swimming on some levels.

• Time attack (have time limit to reach the end of each level)

• Collectible power ups (For example. God mode for limited time, killing enemies when touched)

• Final bosses on certain levels.

• Nonlinear exploration levels to get all items (some are hidden).

Gamepad map:

• Normal buttons (a,b,c) To jump, roll, and run. Also for power up activation on simple
    gamepads.

• Directional pad or analog pad for the character movement.

• Shoulder buttons (non analogs) for power up activation on modern gamepads.

Keyboard map:

• (Type A) Arrow keys for character movement.

• (Type A) Ctrl, Alt, Shift and Spacebar for jump, roll, run, and power up.

• (Type B) WASD for character movement.

• (Type B) Spacebar for jump, Shift for run, Right Ctrl. For roll, Alt Gr. For Power
    up.

1 Like

@Stilgar I like that you identified some meta-mechanics like Time attack. I didn’t really mention those in the course but they definitely count as mechanics.

1 Like

These videos are for the original Sonic the Hedgehog:
Walk, accelerate and run really fast
Spin while running
Spin dash (in later games)
Jump
Crouch
Defeat enemies by jumping on them or spinning through them on ground
Collect rings
Rings as health (lose them if you are hit by an enemy, die if you are hit by enemy without rings. You can still collect rings you lose before they disappear)
Clear stage by hitting goal or defeating boss and jumping onto switch of animal prison
Bonus round (jump through large ring at goal
Slow movement underwater
Run out of breath underwater
Grab air bubbles underwater
Power ups (faster speed, 1-hit shield, invincibility)
Gain extra lives (100 rings, score)

On gamepads, you can move with the directional pad, jump with any button. Down is crouch, and spin dash is Crouch and any Jump button.
On a keyboard, movement and crouching can be mapped to the WASD or arrow keys, jump can be mapped to Space or Enter. Spin dash can be Down Arrow or S + Space or Enter.

Privacy & Terms