Game Design - Theory and Practice (though not the book)

I would love to see a course that dives into the practice of designing games. Maybe something covering topics like affordances, interaction, and ‘gamefeel’. I’d love to dig into some of the headier concepts with your practical, project based approach to teaching. I did a game with a team for this past Ludum Dare. Our game has gotten tons of ratings and overall really great feedback, praise specifically for the art, sound and direction. But we had just as many people complain about our controls feeling unintuitive and some of our level design feeling flat. I did the Weekly Game Jam this week, this time solo, and once again received praise for art, sound, and direction. And once again a complaint that the controls were unintuitive.

It’s easy for people to assume that they are good ‘game designers’ because design is typically considered a soft skill, and most people can profess to have it. I always thought programming, making art and music would be the difficult part of making games. Turns out I got just good enough at development that I was prolific enough to realize I was a lackluster designer.

I know it’s a huge, largely subjective, topic to study. I’d say it’d be infinitely more so to teach. But maybe just a design 101 course that maybe teaches how to approach design with the right mindset and put together the right set of tools. I don’t have a clue, but all of my design decisions are made by the seat of my pants, largely at random, and with no knowledge or experience backing them up. I just feel like there has to be a better way.

I support this idea.

I want this game design course to teach how to design a good fun game in practical way and indie game oriented. Necessary theory but focus on practical side.

For my personal interests, it would be the best if some of my favorite genres as following can be covered: space sim, survival, crafting, shooting, dungeon and etc.

We already have one! That’s what the Board Game course do use - Rick and I use board games as a way of teaching game design theory without worrying about speific languages and engines.

http://gdev.tv/boardgameforumoffer

1 Like

Genius! I didn’t realize that’s what that course was!

Yeah, I kind of wish we’d found a better name for it :smiley:

First, The Board Game Developer is a useful and relevant course for game design. It could quite educated for lots of topics for game design.

However, board game is kind of special game, it has its own challenges but lack of common aspects for most of video games, e,g., character design, narrative, plot, UI, input and etc. It is quite different from the most of common video game genres. It can be used to show some principles in abstract way, but I do not think it is practical enough to guide our common game projects.

Anyway, this is my personal opinion and my personal needs based on my favorite game genres. If there is a plan for new game design course, I will be very interesting to know.

You’re absolutely right - board games are a specific medium with specific requirements, and we do focus pretty deeply on those. But the course was designed to teach transferable design skills. It might not be a detailed enough guide for everyone’s needs though (just like any other course). If people are on the fence, I’d recommend checking out the preview videos and remembering that you can apply your 30 day money back guarantee from Udemy with no hard feelings.

This topic was automatically closed 24 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

Privacy & Terms