[GAME] Brick Break

I finally managed to work out the really big bugs, and it should run fine now, as far as I know!

I’ve been pondering implementing the possibility to pause, as well as a settings menu for at least muting/unmuting music, but possibly other things too, like difficulty. If there are any issues I think it might mostly be lag/performance issues. Let me know how it does on that, and of course, let me know if there are any significant bugs anywhere. :slight_smile:

Link to game here: [ Link ]

Edit (2018-01-12): Updated with new link.

Hi Navigatr,

Great bit of work, this. You’ve done brilliantly refining the sprites, sounds and layout to form a really clean game.

On the first load of some of the animations the game does stutter a bit, but after that it runs just smoothly.

There is a bug which results in levels that will not transition to the next after all the blocks have been destroyed. The first attempt works fine, but the second and thereafter seems to bug out.

Cheers,

Geordie.

Hmm, I thought I had gotten that bug. I’ll look at it again, thanks for the heads-up!

About the first-load lag, that’s the thing I was referring to in my original post. :confused: For the sprites to render the way I wanted to I set the quality to “Fantastic” in the project settings. Should I perhaps try adjusting it?

EDIT:
I’ve been having trouble with the game having bugs after building, and this might be the case again, I think. It runs fine in the editor, but I’ll look into it.

Hi @Navigatr,

Did you manage to replicate the bug?

I meant to supply further info, but, well, you know how work gets in the way of play?

I had a crack at repeating the bug, and it occurs after you lose the game and begin a new one. Once you destroy all the blocks in the first level the game does not proceed to the next level. Once the ball hits the lose collider and you recomplete the level, you progress as expected.

At a guess I’d say the counter for broken bricks isn’t being reset to zero after the last life is spent, thus the counter would be the remaining bricks from the last game plus the new bricks from the new game on that first pass.

Cheers,

Geordie.

Thank you for the update, that helps! So just to double check, it happens specifically when you have lost all five lives, go back to start, and restart the first level, but “fixes” itself after losing once and retrying the level?

So there’s a reset of the brick counter that’s not happening on the first load of the first level. I’ll check where I put that, because it might have been set in the “Retry” screen (for some reason). :confused:

EDIT: Okay, I think I’ve fixed the script so see if it works now.

That’s the one! :slight_smile:

Good job! Your game has a nice 8-bit feel and style. Overall game play is also good.

To help you in your efforts I do have two remarks:

• I have one suggestion from a design perspective, based on my perception and written after just a couple of minutes of play, so take it with a grain of salt. It appears you like creating difficult levels: already on level 2 there were some difficult to reach bricks, within the ‘cage’ of unbreakable bricks. I had only one brick left to break but it takes some time and effort to get them all. I am in favor of designing high difficulty levels (and giving a challenge to the player), but keep in mind that this is best experienced when the player has good control over the game. A player that can guide the ball, aim the ball or even use power-ups to destroy bricks.
    So don’t take this as negative feedback on your project, but just as a suggestion for future projects…

• Second remark. Not my call to call this a bug but I don’t know what happened here:
    Capture when is level finished
    The game is still running but I don’t know how to finish the game :flushed:

Sorry for not getting back to you sooner! Life’s happening and I haven’t had much time to spend on the course in general. :confused:

On your first remark, I know that this is a flaw of mine, ha ha. :stuck_out_tongue: I struggled to make easier levels because I get carried away way too easily, so I totally see your point. (My strong point as a gamedev is mainly the programming, not the design. I’m a backend kinda guy.) So yeah, sorry about that. :stuck_out_tongue:

On the second, I have no idea what happened there, ha ha, sorry. :laughing: Looks like the bug that Geordie_Matthews had, but I thought I fixed that.

Either way I’m not sure if I’ll do much more work on this one, since it’s mostly a practice project and I want to keep moving. The feedback is of course nice though, since it helps me see where I’m lacking. :slight_smile:

Privacy & Terms