Galactic Chessing

Added a cool combination of texture nodes with a “ColorRamp” to control the color distribution. Also decided to extrude the boarder emission light “Yellow”, inwards for a more dynamic geometry for the board itself and to avoid flooding the camera with the boarder emission bloom.

Black Squares ColorRamp
Capture2
White Squares ColorRamp
Capture3

5 Likes

It’s interesting pattern you made… Though I much prefered the “clean look” of the board.

Edit:

If the only goal was to reduce bloom… you can change it’s setting directly as well.

1 Like

Agreed ill be removing it … or at least keeping both versions. I just wanted to show my progression through the course.

cheers!

1 Like

Ah, thanks for sharing!

My association with “scify” is clean. But maybe you can experiment with other patterns to achieve pattern that fits your theme better?

1 Like

I did that and noticed that i wanted to see the effect of recessing the faces inwards would provide a unique effect… it did but the flat face did have a good feel to it also.

Looks like ill have two versions of this board :stuck_out_tongue:
Cheers for the input!

1 Like

I was thinking of adding just a noise texture on the solid black parts on the BLACK squares to mimic stars, but couldn’t get the look I wanted without loosing the overall “Blackness” needed to differentiate the white to black squares without causing dizziness :stuck_out_tongue:

again thanks for the input… ill be thinking of all these ideas as I start finishing the other model pieces.

1 Like

Interesting effect. Can’t quite get how the texture joins up across black and white squares? But it would be a good start on a Snakes and Ladders board!

1 Like

I duplicated the texture layout within the shader tab from one (Black squares material) to the other (white squares material) and the texture just keeps its flow. Also i made minor adjustments to each ColorRamp to accent a black border over the yellow color to out line on white squares; and black boarder to outline on the white squares.

Duplicated : Texture Coordinate, Mapping, Noise Texture, and ColorRamp nodes

Capture4.PNG

AH ok. Is the board one object then? I forget how the course had people make it. That would explain why that works. For some reason I thought of the black and white squares as separated objects, arrayed tiles.

I believe they are separate at start, but for the board part I join the squares into one object before adding material/texture. Good eye!

1 Like

Very very cool

1 Like

Privacy & Terms