Followed instructor step by step but surface not smooth and shows tiling

Maybe something has changed in Blender 2.90 but otherwise cannot achieve same visual result as instructor. I am getting same amount of triangles but it doesn’t look smooth. If i increase the Levels Viewport to smooth it out, the triangle count goes up exponentially. Any ideas on what I’m missing?

Thanks in advance.

Try the following: In the View-Port, right-click on the ball, choose “Shade Smooth”.
Hope that helps.

1 Like

Thought I did that already.
Your suggestion gets it down to 11k which works for me :grinning:

Thanks.

Why 2.9 if the course is using 2.8?
There isn’t that much changed.
Besides more advanced stuff, you’re not needed in this course.

But if I follow the course with 2.8 I’m going to have to learn how to do it in 2.9 anyway (as will all of us, no?). There are course corrections even between minor releases of 2.8 and throughout the beginning part of this course in the revised videos where Mark interrupts to say “actually it’s different now, you do it this way. Back to Mikey!” So should I be using the 2.8 version that Mark uses or that Mikey uses? I might as well get the latest stable version 2.9 and learn how to do things going forward, not how they were done last year.

Similarly I just did the Unity & C# course which was Unity 2017, I’m not going to invest time in learning how to do things in 2017.

1 Like

Respectfully, and correct me if I’m wrong, I hope that is what you meant? Please don’t be telling people they’re not needed. That is uncalled for. :tired_face:

I use the Steam release of Blender so I’m always up-to-date with whatever the “stable” branch is…(2.9 right now) so will follow where I can but will google the rest.
I still find very old 2.x tutorials helpful because as you point out not much has actually changed and core concepts remain.

If one uses the latest version you should catch up with the interface changes on the release notes, but otherwise you should be able to follow along with 2.8 lectures.

The answer to the question in this thread would have worked similarly for 2.8, so in this case there is no difference.

1 Like

Yes, you are right. I apologize for this strange sentence!
I meant to say that most new additions and improvements in Blender 2.9. are out off the scope of these courses. Using 2.9 instead of 2.8 will confuse people.

Sorry if I offended readers.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 24 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

Privacy & Terms