Final models for this section

Lots going on, so this has taken me ages to get finished. Lots of modelling sections separately and then joining, use of the mirror modifier, some playing around with materials (glass for the windows and emissive for the lamps). Bumped the sampling for cycles up to 1024 and I’m pretty happy how it looks.

The lamps on the building were modelled in a separate file that I split into two versions depending which way I was fixing them to the building; this allowed me to work at a much larger scale and then append and rescale as necessary.
Overhead lights (used in all the ground-floor doorways, only two of which are visible):

Wall light (used over the balcony doorway):

11 Likes

Beautiful project with high level of details.
I can belief you spend a great amount of time in this.
It’s a nice design, cartonic style with good proportions!
Good full frame composition. Glad you shared this with us.

But I think you got inspired at the wrong moment. Maybe, follow some lessons more, before you start a big project like this. It’s a lot of work if you don’t follow a good project setup.
For example the lamps are beautiful, really!
But you needed to show them apart because the details are to tiny to be seen on the house.
So time spend on the wrong subject. You could used the time to improve the lighting of the scene.
If you have more knowledge of Blender, then you have more time to be creative. In stead of moving vertices. Because you’ve created a very beautiful, stylish house. Love to see more of it!

Happy rendering.

Ah, sorry, I might not have been clear: the model itself didn’t take me long to make, it’s just that I’ve been busy with other things and so it’s been most of a month from starting to build it to getting around to finishing and rendering it.

As for the lamps, it was a deliberate decision to create them separately and at a much higher LoD as a project in and of themselves (I wanted a break from roofs LOL as well as to do something more intricate/detailed). They took me…maybe 3-4 hours total? Which for my level of experience/skill I’m pretty happy with. The style doesn’t really match that of the building…but that doesn’t matter, because the size means those details aren’t really visible.

Lighting in Blender is just an exercise in frustration for me, and from what I remember of the last time I went through this course, never really gets explained particularly well (I’d be quite happy to be proven wrong). For what I’ll primarily be using Blender for though (modelling for 3D printing, maybe a bit of modelling for game assets), lighting is not particularly high on my list of priorities.

1 Like

Ok, for clearing that. Some people starts wity very impressive things.
But if they wait and follow the lessons. They have more knowledge and make things easier.

Try to use a sun lamp. Because it’s a out side scene.
Or a area lamp.

Remember that the distance of the lamp to the object is also important !
Light intensity will reduce with factor of 2.
factor 16 - 8 - 4 - 2 - 1 …
5meter 4m 3m 2m 1m

So if you have on object on 3meters
And one on 2meter, the 2 meter object gets half the light energy of the one on 3meter.

When using a lamp, place it reasonably far a way of your object.
increase the strength (watts) 1000, 10.000.
Adjust to the whitest spot on your object, so that it is white but not pure white (Over blended)

Hope it helps

Stylish and great looking result.

No harm in detail beyond ‘reason’ if just enjoying the making.

1 Like

Very well done.

Privacy & Terms