Feedback on this section of the course... Too Early

The debugging section, imo, was put in too early. As someone completely new to any kind of programming, i am still wrapping my head around coding in general, (eg. learning what commands do what and how to structure and build code)

Debugging at this point, im sure while well worth knowing, is completely irrelevant (how do i debug a problem when i cant make the problem in the first place?)

Maybe this section could have been added here if the lessons were cut down dramatically to apply to situations in which the user would actually be in (very small amounts of code, explaining the compiler was good) but examples in which i would be in a situation to debug 50+ lines of code could have been saved more towards the end of the course.

As all it did was confuse the hell out of me.

Just my feedback, course is going good so far. Thanks

1 Like

I don’t agree with you. Debugging IS programming and to learn how to write programs you need to also learn how to debug at the same time which means when you’re learning the basics of how to write code you also need to learn how to read through it.

This course is very non-handholding and there’s LOTS of sections where you’re told “This is what you have to do, go do it” and these aren’t later down the road, you’ll have them almost right away in the next section and you’re going to make mistakes in these sections and debugging the code to work back the logic is how you’ll fix them. If this was left out at this point I think a lot more people would be having issues.

What parts of the lecture confused you? I’ve just ran through it again but admittedly I’m a lot further down the course so I’m probably relating a lot more to what’s being said. The biggest takeaways from it you should listen to are use print statements or their equivalent EVERYWHERE when you hit a bug to test logic and focus on finding the MVP for a bug as it will help solve the issue quicker since you won’t have to be looking at 50+ lines at once.

Oh and do get a rubber duck :wink:

3 Likes

As you will soon find out (if you haven’t already) program breaking bugs will forever be the bane of your existence. It may feel a little early, but it’s good information to learn now.

You can also always skip this section and get back to it once you’ve done a few other sections too. :smiley:

Privacy & Terms