Face Select not poss after adding geometry

Just playing while I wait for more 2.80 lessons.

If I add an edge by selecting two indices and pressing ‘F’
subdiv_face_2

Then Face Select either side of that line and I get the whole face, it’s not divided.
I’m sure I’ve missed a step and it’s really simple :slight_smile:

subdiv_face_3

I don’t have version 2.8 yet, but in 2.79, you can’t create a proper edge that way. What I do to set this up is to select that top edge and subdivide by 1, which would give me the vert in the center of the edge, which I’m assuming is how you accomplished it as well.

Then I use the Knife to cut from the bottom left corner up to the vert in the center of that top edge. Then when you go into poly/face mode, you’ll see it’s been divided.

I’m guessing, but if you’re trying to cut the top face into 3 tris, then I would again use the Knife to cut from that center vert in the top edge, to the bottom right corner. Then when you go into poly/face mode, you’ll have 3 separate polys/faces.

Of course, you could just make both cuts with the Knife at the same time by cutting from the bottom left corner up to the center vert in the top edge, and then down to the bottom right corner. Needless to say, you need to press Enter for the cuts to take effect.

Hope that helps.

Edited to Add: BTW, you would have to select at least 3 verts in order to create a poly/face, so that’s why it didn’t work for you.

1 Like

May I add to this, always aiming for quads! It’s the best for optimized topology.

I have to agree. I rarely, if ever, use tris, but sometimes I’ve found it necessary in parts of a mesh, especially when I’m modeling clothing.

Thanks for the advice, it was indeed simple using the knife, I’m glad to discover that tool. :slight_smile:

The cube was just an example I created to ask this question. I need to do this to extrude a small area on my coffee pot.

Still some tidying-up of edges to do, it’s very good practise though.

AHA! I can see why you would use the tris in this instance, and yes, as I mentioned above, there are times when tris work better, such as in this instance.

The coffee pot’s looking good so far. :wink: Keep up the good work.

1 Like

So when your doing re-topology, you can have quads.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 24 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

Privacy & Terms