Endless Space (Section 6: Laser Defender)

The game: Endless Space

After learning and working at it for 1 week and 6 days, I finally got it up and running. Took a while because I kept adding some of my ideas to spice up the game a bit, like adding power-ups and force field. Sadly I failed adding them, although I implemented them and got it working, there are other problems that is (maybe) beyond my knowledge right now. I was really disappointed because I lack knowledge for my ideas. But I gotta pat myself on the back for trying. I did my best and I think that counts as ‘good job’. For y’all reading this, don’t get discouraged by failure, embrace it because it’s the first step to improve.

It took a while to post this game, I tweaked the difficulty, controls, added enemies, added some 18 enemy patterns, 34 waves and also the 1UP system that works as a reward for the player. It was a fun experience to do all this and I can’t wait to start the new project at hand.

The pill underneath is the meter for the 1UP, it’s based on the score you get. For every 5k
you get +1 life, because you’re too good in my game and I want to give this to you as a
reward :smile:

I also added enemies with different health and damage properties, but as compensation the
bigger the stats, the bigger the score.

One problem that wasn’t mentioned in this section was the floaty and sliding movement
of the ship, so what I did was increase the gravity to 100 and the sensitivity to 10 for that
precise movement everyone loves when playing a top-down, hell bullet shooter.

Special thanks to Nina, if it ain’t for her response with my problems with the aspect ratio problem this game won’t be posted at all. And also to you people who gave time to try this please do give criticism and report problems so I could fix them immediately.
:grin: :smile:

2 Likes

:clap::clap::clap:

1 Like

Amazing work man! Game development is a lot of persistence and never giving up. Shoutout to Nina being an amazing teaching assistant. Her knowledge in Unity and C# is unrivaled. Kudos to you for completing your game! It’s not easy and the fact that you did it says a lot about you! Never give up! I wish you much success! :smile:

1 Like

Thanks Kevin. Yeah, Nina is a godsend, this is actually the second time she helped me with this problem with aspect ratio and UI anchors, I finally got the hang of it and read more about it after she gave me some resources from Unity docs. And I’ll get better like my teachers soon, just have to listen carefully and practice :blush:

Privacy & Terms