Editor freezes at the create child blueprint class step

Just what it says; when I click “Select” the editor just crashes. Any idea what’s wrong?

1 Like

Does Udemy student Tej’s answer help?

This problem is actually affecting a few others since 5.1 and still remains on 5.3. I know what the problem is but not the cause. But I do have a simple quick workaround that won’t cause inconvenience.

The Problem:

The problem is that the blueprint window popup is for some reason popping up a full screen width to the right of the editor…basically, out of sight on a single display setup. Because the blueprint pop-up window is the active window, the Editor is inactive (not crashed) until the pop-up window is closed as is normal for any windows program.

This is the official thread for the problem which is currently flagged as Unresolved.

Unreal freezes on creating blueprint from an Actor - Programming & Scripting / Blueprint - Epic Developer Community Forums (unrealengine.com)

The Workaround Solution:

There are two workarounds that doesn’t affect changing anything on your windows environment and causing inconvenience. (I think the second is the best workaround imo).

1. Add a second monitor as extended display and move the Editor to the extended display (which is always on the left). The popup will then show up on the primary display (ie a full display width to the right).

2. have all pop-windows set to dock as a tab in your main editor window by doing this:

Go to Edit->Editor Preferences.

In General-Appearance section, change the “Asset Editor Open Location” field from “Default” to “Main Window”. Now all the asset pop windows will instead dock as a tab in the main editor window.

This topic was automatically closed 20 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

Privacy & Terms