Duplication: Copy and rotate

I’m at about 6:13 on the Duplication lecture, and cannot get the rotation correctly. I’m able to duplicate the stack of blocks. However, when they’re all selected and I rotate by entering a value in the Rotation Z field, it only rotates one of the blocks. I cannot get it to rotate all of them - even though they’re all selected. I’m working on a Mac. Frustrating. I’ve gone back and re-watched the procedure five times and nothing.

1 Like

Ok it is because Mikey does NOT rotate it via the rotation value field. He uses the more usual press R then, using the top down view which sets the axis, followed by an angle number.

I guess it is an oddity that the other rotation field works differently. Guess there may be times it is useful. It is also a little fast on the keystrokes for those not already used to it.

Welcome to this site.

1 Like

NP5 - thanks for the assist and the welcome. That worked. I’m following along mostly but still learning the commands and in some cases, having to figure out the equivalent on a Mac, he sometimes moves a little quickly. So, to recap - I created the original 3 steps with no problem. Selected them all and using SHIFT+D, duplicated them and raised them on the Z-axis. Changed my view to top down, press R and then the angle number (90). That worked. Then I fine-tuned the placement. Does the R command in this context mean “rotate”? Is the advantage of doing it this - you’re able to perform this on the group of steps as opposed to one at at time?

Thanks again,
Carl

1 Like

Yes it’s an easy one to remember R for rotate. Its the usual way to rotate, while the other way may have times when it is useful, I can’t remember when I last did so.

R, can be followed by the axis letter and then a positive or negative degrees number, or just moving the cursor till it looks right according to what your need is. Often things like a 90 degree turn or fraction of a circle the numbers the are fast and easy way.

edit. Oh and the point of the axis letter following R, is you can be looking at the object from any view. Many times you want to see what is happening all over.

Great explanation! Thanks … and noted.

This topic was automatically closed 24 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

Privacy & Terms