Duplication Challenge - Gryffindor Tower

Hi all, this is my render from the duplication challenge for the Blender course.

I am very new to 3D modelling/animation so it’s not nearly as fancy as a lot of other submissions but I’m really happy with how it turned out, particularly the set of drawers.

I plan on adding to and changing up the room as I learn more techniques throughout the course (I’m sure some more comfortable beds would be welcome)

I am still having a bit of trouble when applying transforms. Particularly with the bricks, after I had applied transforms and rotated it, I wanted to halve the size of the brick for the doorway but using the scale function turned it into a diamond, and I couldn’t work out how to resize it relative to itself - if that makes sense! It was following the axis relative to the scene, rather than relative to itself. I am unsure how else to describe it.

I ended up going in to edit mode and mucking around with different functions in there and managed to halve the size of the brick (I should have just created a new cube and eye-balled it, but this was fun too).

Very excited to keep on learning and making more scenes!

3 Likes

Please finish this till the end. It’s looks amazing so far.

2 Likes

Welcome to this site.

A fine start on a room.

Applying transforms is a basic and important thing to do. However the reason they are not automatically applied is the situations where it helps not to have done so. That comes with experience. In your brick case it would have helped not to. Retaining a ‘local’ xyz that the brick started with. Applying removes the local and sets the item back to world axes. It is vital for most subsequent tools especially modifiers when you get to them later.

Love the Suzanne draw handles!

2 Likes

The best way is to make a screen dump of the problem.
Mainmenu > Windows > save screenshot.

Did you work in EDIT or OBJECT mode?
Maybe youwere working a different mode…?

2 Likes

Hey thanks for the encouragement! I most definitely will. It will be great after I’ve learned to do things like curtains, windows, candles with flames, and beds where the poles don’t go straight through the very straight and sharp mattresses.

Cheers

Thanks a lot for the advice, this was extremely helpful. I was under the impression that applying the transform was just a necessary step after creating your shape but it makes sense that it is dependant on what you want to do with the object in the future. I guess that all comes down to planning ahead and, as you said, experience.

Glad you noticed the handles too!

1 Like

Initially I was trying to halve my brick in Object Mode, that’s where I was having issues with the axis. I then switched over to Edit Mode to poke around and try and solve the problem through trial and error. Definitely not the most efficient way to halve an object but I sure learned a lot.

Cheers for the tip on using screenshots to help explain anything I’m having trouble with, will do this in the future.

1 Like

That looks cool! Lovely detail with the monkey heads :smiley:

Looking forward to see where you take the tower in the future.

2 Likes

Privacy & Terms