Duplicate Sprite Renderer Created On Parent Object When Animating

Hi everyone - this may be a Unity-version specific issue, so, I’m not sure if you can help. Here’s what I’m seeing…

I’m using Unity 2017.1. When I am animating a character, I have the Animator component on the parent object and the Sprite Renderer on the child (body).

Next, I open the Animation tab and add a property. I drill into the child object body to find the Sprite Renderer and, ultimately, the Sprite. So far so good… the Sprite Renderer is still on the child and the Animator on the Parent.

But, the second I drag in the frames from the sprite sheet, Unity automatically adds a Sprite Renderer to the parent object. The object animates, of course, but, the static sprite from the child is layered over the animation from the parent.

Removing the Sprite Renderer from the parent results in a broken connection (yellow text). Then, the process repeats.

So, ultimately, I can’t find a way to get Unity to let me control the animation from the Sprite Renderer on the child. It seems to really want one on the parent.

Do you have any ideas what could be causing this? Is anyone running 2017.1 and, if so, are you seeing a similar behavior?

Thanks so much for any advice!

Hi Nathan,

I don’t know if this will help you, but I had a similar issue:

When you drag your frames in, check the property: is it “[child object] : Sprite”, or “[parent object] : Sprite”.
To stop this from happening, I did what you did:

Except I add the frames before Removing the unwanted ones (generated when the “Sprite” property is added), then I shift all the frames back to “0” on the timeline.

Ben (?) also says in the video at 9:53:

Default frames, they’re fine, we’ll leave them there for now. They’re handy, they prevent us from losing our line.

See also: Why do we get two default frames when we add a curve to the sprite renderer's sprite object?

… I REALLY wish I’d seen these BEFORE attempting this - it would’ve saved me a lot of hassle. :expressionless:

Hope this helps.

1 Like

Privacy & Terms