Dragon final render

Finally finished it, bottom picture was rendered with cycles, top with eevee, I usually never bother using eevee but I think I might like that render slightly more in this case.

6 Likes

Very effective, with wet rock too.

1 Like

I actually didn’t realise the rock was wet until I rendered it, I got this one from sketch fab, grant used quixel megascans for his I believe, but I wasn’t willing to pay for anything and i’ve never used unreal engine, so quixel megascans was a no go for me, they had some really good rocks on there though. I was searching for a good 45 minutes, its hard to find decent assets for free, I think in the future I will probably just put in the extra time and make these things myself.

1 Like

Definitely better to make your own, far too much emphasis on ‘just’ downloading a solution these days imo.

1 Like

I agree, I always feel bad when I download stuff, it just feels a bit like cheating I guess, of course with something like quixel megascans it would be quite difficult to recreate as they are actual 3d scans of real objects, but with the rock that I used from skechfab I’m sure I could of figured out how to get a similar result, I guess I just went with downloading because the course suggested it. I also hate when I look up tutorials on how to do stuff, like for example I was trying to figure out how to get a brick like material with cracks for a old style castle wall, and pretty much every tutorial involved downloading a texture that you pretty much just have to plug in, which can pretty much be done automatically with the node wrangler add on, I wanted to learn how to do it procedurally, it’s just frustrating when your trying to learn and most tutorials just go the easy route, downloadable textures have there uses of course especially if you have a deadline and you need it done quick, but as a beginner I just want to learn it all the hard way so I’m not reliant on other peoples textures.

Not a particular fan of procedural textures myself, to me image based ones are better and you can make them yourself. Materialise is a free program that facilitates doing so. Things like wood etc, are easy to get images of. I guess having always had a camera it feels ordinary and easy to me. But these days most have some sort of camera on a phone that would suffice.
Or you can go full photogrammetry oneself with Alice Vision Meshroom, also free.

That said there is no harm in using downloaded ones, it just should be more encouraged and taught perhaps, how they are made, and that you can make your own.

1 Like

Privacy & Terms