Door with pivot

This is my solution to the pivot challenge. Started by creating a wall and doorframe using extrusion. Then, still in edit mode, created a new cube and placed it in the correct location for the door.

This left me with a single object instead of the wall and door being separate. In edge mode, I selected the front right edge of the door and snapped the 3D cursor to it.

I was then able to select linked elements using the L key to select only the door and rotate on the Z axis.

Also accidentally discovered how to assign multiple materials to a single mesh, so that was nice :smiley:

Door closed:

Door Half open:

Door fully open:

As always, any critiques are more than welcome.

Happy blending everyone :grinning:

4 Likes

Good work.
Bar positioning of the door in the opening. Usually, the hinge point of rotation would be level with the outer corner of the frame. This door would not be able to open past 90 degrees. If I have explained that well enough. Force that open door further open and it rips the hinges out.

1 Like

Thank you for the feedback @NP5. I never thought about the angle to be honest. I did put the hinge on the correct edge of the door but I see what you mean about the door itself being in the wrong position.

Something for me to watch out for in the future.

Thanks again, I really appreciate it.

Privacy & Terms