Dissolving Geometry and Appending Vs Duplication Challenges

I ended up not doing the edge rings challenge due to how I made the base and how I wanted it to look, so didn’t use that technique.

Hopefully, my pawn can still be considered low-poly, but it looks like something like “mid-poly” (due to the amount of vertices and edges compared to the lecture). :sweat_smile:

Dissolving Geometry:

Appending Vs Duplication:

4 Likes

Looking good.

I suspect the low poly theme is to keep the models simple in a beginner course. Really there is no need unless you set out to make things only for game engines or animation. Well baring a potatoe of a computer! :potato: :desktop_computer:

2 Likes

The way you have build the indented ridge (in/out). Reflects in the total pawn design.
Which is not so efficient for the low poly count.
Better to divide the mesh into two parts of the pawn. And a specialize in/out ridge.

But while the course speaks about low poly (which can be important).
You don’t need to. Just continue and have fun.

1 Like

Thank you! You’re right, but since in the lecture was mentioned that we can add a bit of creativity on the model, I tried to do that with this base, that doesn’t allow to be low-poly. I think that my computer is capable to handle the extra geometry that is in this base. :sweat_smile:

You’re right, I should’ve made as you mentioned a ridge separated from the base. But, unfortunately, I didn’t thought about it when I was design it.

Probably, I was too focused on the low-poly aspect that I forgot the main point of this lecture, that is to learn and develop new techniques.

Thank you both for your comments and sorry for only replying today.

1 Like

Privacy & Terms