Difficulty controlling location and rotation in mirror modifier

Hello, I am having difficulty with controlling the location and rotation of the edges in the mirror modifier, it’s not simliar to what is shown in the video. I can’t move the extrude edges to the left or right accord to the reference image, it’s behaving similar to scaling. And the rotation is behaving like the mirror. I’ve followed your guide, using Empty as a mirror point but still behaving like the mirror.

1 Like

Did you know you can send us screen shots from your problem?
Use main menu > window > save screen shot.

General Q&A note
Please give full screenshots with any questions. With the relevant panels open.
Also include the lecture number and time that is relevant to the problem/issue.
This can be done by Blender itself, via the ‘Window’ menu bar top left hand side. On that menu drop down is ‘save screenshot’.

Here is the screenshot of my work

1 Like

Where is the EMPTY ‘mirror point’ located?
The best is to have it at 0.0.0, like the 3 D cursor.

The most logical Blender thing is, e to extrude and immediately drag it somewhere.
But in your example, the most logical blender behavior is to go up, along the z-ax.

For example: ez extrude along the z-ax.

But in your case, if you do ey it can’t be seen from this right view. It’s also unlogical.

To see better what is happening look through your camera … numpad 0.

Does this help?

1 Like

Hi, I’ve noticed that when you set up the mirror modifier, you are on Y-ax. But when you extrude and move/rotate edges, you are on X-ax, therefore you are on a full Knight base view, not on half base and half mirror. Is that correct?

1 Like

Sort of, it depends on how the modifier is configured!?

So, if mirror AXIS-Y is set on the MIRROR MODDIFIER. The objects (vertices) are copied along/parallel to the y-ax and behave as a mirror over the x-ax. the actual mirror center, where the x-ax would lay, depends on the chosen MIRROR OBJECT (in most cases an empty).

Play it, experiment it by yourself. Use the cube and add an empty. use empty as the mirror. and experiment.

1 Like

I am editing on a full base view (not on half mirror/half base) and it’s working fine. Will see if there are any problems along the way, I will keep working on the full base side.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 24 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

Privacy & Terms