Deploying ShootHoop on iOS

Hi

I deployed completed version of ShootHoop on iOS device via Unity 5.6. it displays in stereo view on mobile as I enabled in unity (i did not use GVR).
However, when I click PLAY on 1st scene, it does not move to next scene and just shoot old pink color ball (not the one from assets).
Wondering if the ShootHoop course case included the goal of deploying it on mobile or only Oculus Rift?
Would be great to have some guidance how to deploy this project it mobile in a usable result. As I understand, the GVR SDK covered in later lessons has changed a lot recently.

I have added a new lecture about GVR 1.70. Let me know if that sheds any light.

Thanks. That’s very useful overview. Still quite confusing once diving deeper due to the big sdk changes. If there is and you can recommend any guidance on Web about how to implement mobile VR by using of the new Unity built in Cardboard sdk, that would be useful. There is not much info in Unity documentation either.

What kind of issues do you encounter? Is it something I can better address?

Thanks! Yes, there are couple. Currently, i am focussed on these.

1. Every time i deploy app on iPhone, the image is not viewable well. Of course, i get two displays (one for each eye in cardboard), but the angle how it is displayed is not aligned, the image is distorted when i watch in cardboard. Is it an issue with FOV? How to solve this?
  2. If Cardboard VR is natively built into Unity, when should i use Google sdk? In my case, I dont plan to use Daydream. Do we need it for the VR cursor/pointer?
  3. In latest sdk, we cannot view stereo preview in Unity like it is in your videos with earlier sdks and we have to deploy to iPhone every time. Is there any good way? I tried to apply Instant Preview from Google, but it did not work out for me in iOS device.
    Hope to get up and running with the latest.
    Thank you.

This may be down to cardboard version not being set up right. I would have a play in the player settings to see if any more options can be tweaked.

Yes, it’s used for the cursors as well as the spatial audio. If you don’t use these, you can go without.

Any reason you need this? I personally found the stereo view in editor limiting and annoying.

Still puzzled about distorted stereo view also after review of Player settings. There are some discussions on forums, but not clear answers: https://forum.unity3d.com/threads/google-vr-sdk-1-10-unity-5-5-broken.445323/
https://stackoverflow.com/questions/41143988/unity3d-5-6-vr-cardboard-application-incorrectly-displays-on-device
As for preview - simply it takes a lot of time to re-deploy app on iOS device every time you want to test UI experience in VR mode. There should be an easier way somehow.
Thanks!

What prevents the UI experience testing? Are you saying it doesn’t react to UI events?

The issue you are hitting seems to be this one: https://issuetracker.unity3d.com/issues/ios-cardboard-left-and-right-camera-view-is-offset-too-far-away-from-one-another-in-cardboard-mode-on-iphone-5-slash-ipod-6th-gen . Looks like you might need to get hold of 2017.1 to fix it.

For deployment issue, i mean the feedback is not real time like it was whith earlier GVR - you have to build and deploy on device every time you want to see changes made to your VR app. That takes so much time.

Yes, the link seems to be pointing to the same issue i m facing with iOS.

Just what did you mean by “might need to get hold of 2017.1 to fix it”? Is it some bugfix? Thanks.

It’s the beta version of Unity

or Unity 2017.2.0b8 now?

Yes, I think the latest available would do.

Actually, i found 2017.1 better. Too many errors in Xcode with latest Unity beta.

1 Like

Privacy & Terms