Da Rocket Cave! (AKA "My Project Boost")

I’ve just finished section 3 of the 3D course and I would like to present to you my take on the well-known and loved Project Boost!

DA ROCKET CAVE!

This game has such exciting features as:

• A rocket that can fly and spin (also has a built-in flashlight)!
  • 6 (potentially) fun levels to play through!
  • A lives system with 3 whole lives to waste on the aforementioned levels!
  • Main menu!
  • Victory Screen!

Play here: https://www.sharemygame.com/share/a9316f29-3e3d-424e-9d32-b2a15b6f62d0

Here is the obligatory question: what level did you find to be the hardest/most frustrating? I bet that’s the final one.

Some known bugs/problems:

• The text on the right in the main menu can get partially cut off on some monitors (probably can simply be fixed by expanding the text field)
  • Nose-diving into the landing pad in the first level may result in death despite the player not touching the ground (rare; perhaps the rocket is clipping through the ground?)
  • The launch pads in the levels 2 and 5 can sometimes mess up the rocket’s rotation if you ram too hard into them (rare; I think it was discussed in the course at some point?)
  • The rocket in the WebGL version often feels around 25-50% slower than in the Editor. It feels like flying in a swamp or something (happens only in fullscreen(?); browser/Internet connection problems?)

Feedback, suggestions, and criticism are welcome!

1 Like

Hey dude! Great effort on the post and game, you can tell you’ve put in the extra work.

My observations and feedback. The rocket has a lot of drag which isn’t a bad thing. It doesn’t really feel like a rocket ship anymore though but you could definitely say that ‘the alien air is very thick’ or something to cover for that. I actually enjoy the different style of flying compared to the usual project copies.

Secondly, love the face on the ship.

Thirdly, the lives! A great addition, much better than permadeath. My only criticism would be that you don’t have many lives left for the final level to play wit. I died once on the 2nd level misjudging the gap, once on the 4th level after I didn’t see the pillar AFTER the moving obstacle and then once quickly on the final level. By the time I got there though, I couldn’t replay without going all the way back which is a bummer. Perhaps the player gets an extra life for the final level? Just an idea. :slight_smile:

Overall, it’s interesting and a lot of fun!

1 Like

Thank you for your feedback!

The rocket having a lot of drag wasn’t intentional and I only realized it after playing other games here. However, having played games with “heavier” rockets, I must say that I personally prefer to have more control over my ship. That’s just me, of course.

I agree that I was a bit stingy with lives. I think a good idea would be to give 3 lives per level instead of 3 lives for the entire game. Definitely gonna make the game less frustrating. Getting through a level is going to feel like a huge relief.

Also, it seems like the rocket moves much slower in the fullscreen mode compared to the normal one. Is it only a problem on my end, or did you also experience the difference?

Again, thank you for your opinion! :grinning:

Privacy & Terms